We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

My husband and I are thinking of taking a trip to Punta Mita during April Easter break. But, I have been nervous about the recent violence in the Puerto Vallarta area....am I just being a paranoid American? Would love to hear from anyone with with local knowledge....thank you.

Punta Mita Expeditions
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Scuba & Snorkeling
Dressel Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling
Mita Aventuras
Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Spearmex
Fishing Charters & Tours
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
214 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

we are here now and feel extremely safe and well protected. it is stunning here and service and people are great. don't let the media scare you...

The area is gated with security at all entrances and exits. If you wander off to other places I cannot speculate on safety there though.

Where Are you staying

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

Thanks for your encouraging thoughts. We were either going to be at the St. Regis or Four Seasons. Just thought it could be a target, that's all. I know the media is hyping stuff up. And, tourists aren't really the target. But there's always that voice at the back of your head saying, "Of all the places you can go..." Thank you however.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,712 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

We have a place outside the gates on a beach which is on the other side of the Four Seasons. We don´t have any kind of security beyond locking our own front door. We even leave the property gate open.

The whole area is perfectly safe and very quiet. You rarely even hear of a robbery. I wouldn´t worry in the least.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

I would like to know what kind of violence you have heard about in the PV area. What stories have you heard?? I certainly don't know of any other than a couple of cobblestones attacking people. Other than that we took a bus from PV to Punta Mita. We loved it there, sat on the beach in front of Anclote restaurant for the afternoon, had a few Marg's and lunch, nice beach but can be a little rocky in area's. SAFE, SAFE,SAFE!!

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,165 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

I left Bucerias 2 months ago and I'm also wondering what "recent violence in the Puerto Vallarta area" you heard about? I follow the news of the PV area pretty closely and I can't recall hearing anything. (I'll be returning to Bucerias next week for a 3-month stay.)

I'd be a lot more concerned about your choice of dates. The week before and the week after Easter is the time that Mexican beach resort areas are usually jam-packed with Mexican tourists. This won't affect you if you stay at one of the luxury resorts in Punta Mita, but expect the roads to be very crowded and to see families camping on the beaches.

My advice is to stop watching Fox News and don't pay any attention to the well-meaning friends and relatives who are so "concerned" for you. (I wish I had a nickel for every time somebody tells me that they are terrified for me. I live in Mexico part-time and I love it so much.)

6. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 14:12
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,712 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

This is not a place for advertising your own web pages. If this post, Catira is allowed to stand, I quit.

Let´s see.

Libby

Playa Careyeros, Puerto Vallarta and Oakville, Canada.

Muttenz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

Hello Careyeroslib

I am by no means advertising. I actually did read the community guidelines, that do allow referral to a blog...if I am offending anybody, my apologies in advance. I am not making any money of my personal twitter account or a blog post that I wrote for my family. I am also not offended if it's taken down or nobody reads it.

I just wanted to share my personal experience, and feeling that Punta Mita, as well as any of the beaches and places around are safe.

if you have more comments to me personally, please email me at mela.schneider@gmail.com

respectfully

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

I read some of Catiras blog, and it is just that, a traveller talking about her experience. Maybe you should quit Libby, there are many different types of folks out there in this big world, and some have interesting things to say. This site is all about travel, not about someones narrow view of how things "should be" in their little forum world.

Sorry about that to the person who posted this, go with informed opinions you got here. You are very safe in this area!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to travel to Punta Mita?

Where are you getting your information about safety issues in Punta Mita.

I live here for the winter and always feel safe even when I wear my very large diamond jewelry. You are safer here than most vacation places . Have you been to Bermuda or the Caribbean lately?

Edited: 02 April 2011, 03:19