We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car to get to Punta de Mita

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car to get to Punta de Mita

Looking online it looks like getting to the resort we are staying at in Punta de Mita is pretty expensive and it might make sense to rent a car since they are super cheap. There is also the added bonus of being able to go to Wal Mart multiple times during our 10 day stay so it would also help us save money that way...I have a couple of questions before I book the car though so hopefully someone can help.

1. Is it safe?

2. Do I need a special license of any kind or will my WA drivers license work fine?

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car to get to Punta de Mita

1) Perfectly safe.

2) Your WA license is all you need.

You can find some recent thoughts on this topic at the following links:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k687119…

tripadvisor.ca/…53377033

Be aware that insurance costs can quickly double or triple your total rental cost. Make sure you fully understand the issues. You can start by going to the Puerto Vallarta forum, and entering "car rental" in the search box.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,991 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car to get to Punta de Mita

I totally agree with OT_Bound´s post..

Just to add, when you look at renting a vehicle in Mexico it looks really cheap, but it isn´t really. Even if you have a Platinum Credit card, you still have to buy liability, which is--and OT Bound can correct me--$15.00 US per day.

Anyway, maybe you don´t need a vehicle? Where are you staying?

Welcome to the Fórum, and please post back.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car to get to Punta de Mita

We just got back from Punta de Mita and rented a car for the first time. We got a great rate! $27 for the week, but after insurance and taxes, our bill came to $165. We rented from Europcar and had no problems whatsoever. I drove the entire time and felt the drive to Punta de Mita was really easy. I would do it again in a heart beat. It was great to have a car and we were able to do lots of day trips and dinners out. Whatever you decide to do, have a great vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
4. Re: Renting a car to get to Punta de Mita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 13:11
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car to get to Punta de Mita

thanks everyone for the advice! sounds like it might be a good idea for us to rent one despite the cost of insurance...are there easy alternatives to renting a car to get to the Mega or Wal Mart and to and from town that maybe I am not thinking of? It seems like after paying for the trip to and from the airport and then a few trips to and from town in taxis the cost would be much much cheaper to just rent a car.

Thanks again for your help! Can't wait to be in Punta de MIta!

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,991 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car to get to Punta de Mita

You can take the bus to Puerto Vallarta and it goes right by the Mega and the Walmart which is near Nuevo Vallarta. (they are on the Highway( They are very cheap, about 20 pesos per person each way. However, the buses really just go on the Highway, so if you want to explore the área or even get from A to B, a car is a great help for staying many places. . I´m not sure where you are staying, but the resorts are fairly isolated from anything

Btw, it´s a good idea to do one big shopping at a major store like Mega or Walmart if you have a kitchen, but then rely on local stores for things you run out of.

Have fun.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 21:00
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
7. Re: Renting a car to get to Punta de Mita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 06:20