We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency for the area?

Which Punta de Mita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
25 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Currency for the area?

Should we have american dollars or mexican pesos for the trip?

Staying at Iberostar Playa Mita. Most likely staying on the resort for most of the trip if that matters

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency for the area?

if off the resort use pesos since you are in mexico.if in the resort they will probably take dollars but you end up paying 25 to 30 percent more in dollars vs pesos

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency for the area?

Mexico uses Pesos you can get them from the Atm when you get to Mexico just like at home.

Level Contributor
25 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency for the area?

Thanks pesos it is

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency for the area?

The advice the others gave is the same that is posted daily on here. Look at all the similar questions. The location in Mexico is irrelavant. BTW.. if you set your profile up to display country it can help others answer questions. ATM exchanges at or near interbank rate. That is the best. It fluctuates but only in tiny amounts...not enough to be noticible. A couple things cause confusion for newbies...which you seem to be. The $ symbol is used for pesos and dollars. So, no, that steak dinner on the menu isn't 200 dollars. Also, some tourist oriented places quote in dollars. Gringos are mostly not familiar with pesos but most...Europeans and Canadians... have experience in doing exchanges in their heads so it is a reference point. Even if the sign is in dollars..ask what it is in pesos. Resorts may be giving you a 10-1 rate while the ATM is closer to 13-1. Safety matter. Always tell your bank where you are going and the dates. Even helps if you can give them a rough estimate of daily withdrawals. Bank security systems are programmed to flag unexpected international transactions as identity theft.

Level Contributor
25 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency for the area?

ya I will not being using ATMS, not a safe bet at all. had LOTS of problems with that in Mexico already from past travels

American dollars seems to be used most 'tropical' resort places, but was looking for people in the area to respond on their opinions

My location has nothing to do with the place I will be traveling

Was a simple question pesos or american would BEST suit where I'm going

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency for the area?

if you want to pay 30 percent more use you US dollars/sucient enough

Level Contributor
25 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency for the area?

absolutely! will not be bringing american dollars thanks again!:)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency for the area?

We have a place on the beach next to Iberostar.

I would at least tip staff in pesos if you can. There are no Banks or Exchange houses in the immediate área where workers could Exchange dollars for pesos and many basic household bills such as electricity and phone cannot be paid in US dollars. Also, if they buy food or supplies they might also have trouble paying in dollars. The local town, Higuera Blanca, is completely non-touristy.

Level Contributor
25 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency for the area?

Thank you so much makes sense! Ill change my canadian currency to pesos at the airport before i leave. How much pesos would a sufficient tip be?

Also would you be able to tell me about the resort?

ri
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency for the area?

is there a particular ATM to use at the airport or are they all the same?

i'm going to be in MX for a lllllong time. what's the max i can (or should) take out at the airport. and are there any ATMs in PdM that have good exchange rates?

Get answers to your questions about Punta de Mita