We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal malaria zone??

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal malaria zone??

We're heading to the Grand Sirenis on April 15...FINALLY!!! After months of reading I'm now wondering about the fact that Akumal is designated a malaria zone? Alot of my family has decided to take the medication, I'm going with an "I don't need it" attitude, but maybe I'm not taking this seriously enough?? Any thoughts?

Nuts for snorkelling and love hot holidays if you're still checking in on this thread what did you do, especially with kids??

btodd, can you believe the time has finally almost come, from months ago when erniefiredguy first started that thread way back when??

jacki

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal malaria zone??

We've been traveling to the Akumal area for years, with kids (5-year-old will be along on our trip on 4/18), we've never worried about it. The CDC hasn't issued a travel alert for malaria in the area, unless something has happened in the last week that I don't know about.

I'm not one of those people that worry about that kind of thing, however, so if it's going to ruin your vacation thinking about it, take the darn meds!

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal malaria zone??

I've been going to Akumal/Tulum since 95. Never took the meds or worried about it. Still here.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal malaria zone??

We just returned from the GS and didn't hear anything about malaria. I specifically asked our pediatrician about precautions to take with our kids (Our kids are 5, 7, and 9) and he didn't even mention malaria. I did hear, however, that I wouldn't be able to give blood for a couple of years because of visiting this area. Don't know if that's because of malaria or not.

Have a great trip!

Calypso

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal malaria zone??

Please, do NOT take the malarial medication. I have never heard of a malaria case in the area. The side effects are brutal. Don't do it. Just use repellent.

BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal malaria zone??

THanks so much for the quick responses!! I won't worry about it!!

jacki

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
442 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal malaria zone??

I second HollyWorton's response. It is not worth it to take those pills unless you are going to have direct exposure. Side effects are horrible.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,061 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal malaria zone??

Many of the resorts fog/spray the area so the risk is very low.

As per the other replies, the side effects are probably worse. If you go on tours/excursions into the jungle, take a good deet bug spray/wipe

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal malaria zone??

Akumal's in a malaria zone??? We've been going there for the past three years, actually staying IN Akumal (GS isn't right in Akumal) and never had a problem. We usually stay at a condo, villa, or hotel now and don't get sick. We did get sick at the buffets at a few AIs, though.

9. Re: Akumal malaria zone??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 00:16