We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

barcelo murders

wisconsin
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
barcelo murders

ok listen, i dont want to bring up anything nasty either but i am traveling with my two daughters staying at that same resort , now i am nervous ?? are we going to be safe ?>

do they have any more incidents to be worried about , what is the security like after that ?

should i cancel my trip ?

chelle

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: barcelo murders

Has there been any murders in Wisconsin lately?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: barcelo murders

Why did you book it to start with. I've crossed it off my list permanently. I'd be afraid the murdered worked there still.

There are plenty of other places to move to.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: barcelo murders

Seems to me there is more crime in our own backyards than in Mexican resorts, so I wouldn't cancel any vacation plans due to the sensationalized reporting of these murders.

Stay alert just as you would in any North American city. Don't flash your money around, don't walk around by yourself in dark areas, etc etc.

I do wish the Mexican authorities understood that trying to cover up these crimes by automatically blaming it on non-Mexicans makes matters worse. A thorough investigation based on facts is the best way to control the damage.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: barcelo murders

tired boy is right, it happens right in your own neighbourhood. You will be safe...we always travel in a group and we have rules...never open the door unless you know who is on the other side, we never leave the resort at night and we are always aware of those around us...it was a terrible thing that happened, but people are still flocking to Mexico, including the Barcelo, it is a beautiful resort and you will be safe. We just returned from the Bahia for our third time, we adore it there and that particular resort has stepped up security, they are everywhere. I would imagine the Barcelo has done the same. Go have a wonderful trip and you will be glad you didn't cancel Mexico or the Barcelo.

As far as Debbie's comments are concerned, it is her individual choice and that is what this board is for, opinions of other posters, whether it is good or bad.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: barcelo murders

I look at it this way. Where would you want your family to stay:

Barcelo- history of 2 guests murdered in their room., crime unsolved. It is possible the murderer still works at the resort.

Or, Any other nice resort.

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: barcelo murders

Alos possible the murderer could have been a foreigner.

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: barcelo murders

the barcelo where the couple was murdered LAST YEAR?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: barcelo murders

It's also possible the murderer has quit their job and has now gotten a job at the resort Debbie is going to next.

calgary
Level Contributor
279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: barcelo murders

I've been to the Barcelo before the murders and I really liked it alot. I've been to several resorts and thought this one was the most fun. There is always lots of really fun stuff to do, ie. mini golf, pool games, fun disco, good shows, and fun staff. Probably one of the best beaches in the Mayan, IMO. Great service at the lobby bar, that really sticks out in my mind.

At first I kinda got freaked out when I heard two Canadians were killed there, especially since I heard it was in building four, the same one I had stayed in. But, it could happen at any resort really. Would I go back? No...but ONLY because it would freak out my mother too much!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: barcelo murders

I stayed at the Barcelo after the incident when the hotel only had 6% occupancy. I have to admit that the incident did come across my mind while I was there, but trust me , you have nothing to worry about. Any resort would step up security after an incident like that. The case is still unsolved and there is no proof that it was an employee. The employee that was a suspect is long gone. There is still speculation that it could have been someone from Canada, or even a member of the wedding party.

I will admit that the resort has been trying to cover up as much as possible.

The Barcelo Maya is known to have one of the best beaches in Mexico. It has both a wide sandy beach for swimming and an area for great snorkeling. It is hard to find a place that offers both.

The rooms and grounds are beautiful and the food is great. I would not let something that happened almost 2 years go affect my decision.