We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal golden akumal

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rodney, Ontario...
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Royal golden akumal

Does this resort have calm water for swimming, I understand you need to go around the corner to swim, but is it sheltered and calm?

Is there sea food on the lunch and dinner/ Is this comparible to a sandals resort or a Riu?

thanks , deciding over the next few days if this is for us. thanks

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal golden akumal

We've stayed at both a Sandals and a RIU. We prefer the Bahia, but it's really a totally different place. I'm not sure what you mean by going "around the corner" to swim? If you'll be in the Club Golden (Royal Golden) in Akumal, the Villas are not located on the swimmable part of the shoreline. However, just a short walk along the sand or down one of the paths will take you to the main swimming area, maybe this is what you're talking about. The water is very calm between the two piers, which is the swimming area you would be closest to. It's perfect if you have children, or if you just don't like rough water. That's where there are a lot of fish.

There is seafood on the buffets, and there is a seafood restaurant. I don't think there is as much seafood as we thought there was at the RIU Ocho Rios, however. But the rest of the buffet was much better in our opinion. There isn't drink service around the pools or on the beach, you do have to actually get up off your chair and get your own drinks. The wait staff and maid staff, etc. at the Bahia is all extremely friendly and keep the place immaculate, which is different from what we experienced at the RIU. As for being like Sandals, you have to consider what you're paying. The price here is a lot lower, but the standard of service is perhaps just slighly lower, for instance there won't be someone walking around calling you "my lady" all day long. And, it's a large resort, not small and intimate.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I know it's hard to decide on a new resort. We've been there five times, getting ready to head back for our sixth!

Rodney, Ontario...
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal golden akumal

Thanks so much for your quick response

. We are doing a sell off, so the price is definelty right. This is the first time we have done this sell off and also the first time going south in the summer. Just decided to do an easy 1 week, we loved the riu Tropical bay in negril. Sandals over the past 25 years has not kept up the beginning. This sounds like a good chain. We have never been to Mexico or the DR for fear of the water and food and getting sick, should I worry?

All we want is calm swimming water, good snorkelling, good seafood, relaxcing, and maybe check out the ruins, or do you have any suggestions?

IS the golden area a spot to stay in then, or is there a better part of the complex? I thought it was closest to the beach area? I have done no research on this resort.,so please excuse my questions?

Is it even worth the extra money compared to the regular rooms?

thnaks again, flo

Is it a big deal to get to the good beach?, I was looking a the pics and that is what I meant by around the corner.Appears that the Golden is on the point and the beach is to the side,Am I correct?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal golden akumal

Flo-

Don't worry at all about getting sick, as long as you use normal caution you'll be fine. They provide large (1-ltr?) bottles of water for drinking. We use the tap water for brushing our teeth, but some people don't even do that. The water in the restaurants is fine, so are the ice cubes. We eat the salad and the fresh fruit, with no problems. We do watch what we eat from the buffet, just like we would here in the states. Don't eat anything that looks like it's been sitting out too long, and be wary of any mayo-based salad dressings. We've never been ill in the least, and we've enjoyed it all! Watch your amount of alcohol intake, of course, and use plenty of sunscreen. Sometimes over-imbibing and getting too much sun can be mistaken for eating or drinking something bad!

We went to the Coba ruins in a taxi, it was great. We left a little before 8am, got there right when they opened at 9am. We went directly to the "big pyramid", the one you can still walk up, our little guy loved it (he's an adventurous rock-climbing kind of kid!). Then we visited the other structures on the way back to the entrance. We hired a pedi-cab, he pedalled all three of us around. The cab ride there & back (he waited for us while we toured) was $45us each way. The entrance fee & pedi-cab was maybe $20-25 total, and we also bought a map that had some history stuff written on it as a souvenier. We were back at the resort in time for a late lunch!

I'd definitely head to Akumal Bay to snorkel with the turtles, ask if you want more info on that. It can be done as an easy 2-3 hour trip on your own if that's how you want to do it.

I'll write more in a bit about Golden vs. Standard, I have to go pick up my son from Summer Camp!

Sandy

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal golden akumal

As to Golden vs. standard - I always think of Golden as being the perfect place for honeymooners, or people without small children without mobility problems. There's a lot of walking involved, but the location is beautiful. You're right ON the shore, basically, but it's a rocky shore. And, yes, it's a bit of a walk to the beach area. We would never book it with a small child. The perks of Golden vs. standard aren't that great to us. An extra a la carte (with small kids, the a la cartes can be a pain anyway, sometimes it can take two hours to eat a meal), and free internet service (we go on vacation to get away from that!) aren't a big deal to us.

If Club Golden is the only thing available or it's cheaper than standard I'd say go for it, but I'd never pay more for it. That's just my opinion! Read some of the reviews and you'll get more info.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal golden akumal

Whatever you do, don't fly Air Transat.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal golden akumal

Why do you say that??? Just a question, we have been flying Air Transat for years and love it. Have you travelled with Skyservice??? Now that is an airline that I will NEVER travel with again. We found with Skyservice is terrible because you are schrunched up and we have no leg room, but with Air Transat we get better leg room, food, of course, is the same as all airlines, but the service has always been wonderful with Air Transat. Every flight we take, which is every year and sometimes twice a year, the crew has been awesome.

Skyservice we get nothing but attitude, just my opinion, of course, but there are not alot of charters that we have access to, unless, you want to fly Air Canada out of Canada which we find expensive. We always travel in a group of 10-16 people every year and no one has a complaint. O.K., except for the weight restrictions on one and two week travellers.

I would love to hear your story on Air Transat...PM me if you don't want to talk about it here. Just curious is all.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal golden akumal

I have no problems discussing the terrible service, terrible attitude, and terrible lies that Air Transat has given me here.

I flew them to the BPA in 2005. Upon checking in, we were charged 40 dollars for a new ticket to be printed; a major rip off. The check-in lady also forgot to give us our resort confirmation papers, and she held up the airplane from departing while giving them to us onboard.

The food was less than desirable. Two pita shells glued together with cheese, in which the flight attendants threw at everyone in the economy section.

Upon landing, we discovered that one of our bags was missing. We stood in line to claim our bag as missing, and were last [14 other bags went missing]. We stood in that line for at least 2 hours, obviously missing our shuttle to the resort. We were lucky, and another lady who had her bag lost was staying at the same resort, so they called a shuttle and dropped us off.

No complaints about Bahia Principe Akumal; amazing resort.

What wasn't so amazing, though, were the Air Transat reps at the resort. We confronted them with our issue, and were told that we would be told what happened to our bags by that evening. Well, three days later, and many angry visits to the lobby, they finally told us that our bag, as well as the baggage of the other lady, was in London, England. We were told it would arrive back that day.

The next morning, still no luggage. At this point, we went down to the lobby and we lost our cool with one of the reps, who made another excuse. We yelled at her, and left. She told us that when our bag arrived, we would be notified.

That night, after supper, we walked past the main entrance and saw our bag sitting there unattended. The paper on the bag indicated that it had been sitting there all day; we had not been notified as promised. The other lady's bag was also there. It had gone through Toronto.

As we went to our room and opened the bag, we noticed items were missing. This was not accidental; the items that were missing were brand new, and included sunscreen, sandals, and expensive perfume. The next day, we went to the lobby and told the rep about it, then she laughed about it... At that time, we saw the other lady coming, and she also had new items missing; lots of new perfume in which her husband bought her. We were told that a lost/stolen form would be at our door that night.

Two days later, and many angry words said to the representatives [including a time when they said they'd deal with us, yet disappeared], we received the forms.

Our flight home left 40 minutes late, and the plane was very dirty. Bags of garbage in the aisles, and leftover food in the seat pockets/under the seats. The staff on this flight was pleasant.

Upon arriving, we were glad to see all our bags. We went over to someone in Air Transat uniform, and guess what? It was the same dim-witted woman who checked us in... She told us to call a number for service from Air Transat, and the number she gave us was wrong [we woke up a lady in Montreal while calling it].

We wrote a more positive letter to Air Transat, in which they sent one back asking for more info... On our second attempt, they sent us money that barely covered the cost of the stolen items [they based it off of their "approximate estimates" of the items stolen]. I personally feel as if they should have refunded us all our flights, or at least offer a more generous compensation for our experience.

Nonetheless, I strongly advise against using Air Transat, and never will myself again. I have heard about the problems with SkyService, however, compared to what we experienced with Air Transat, we would pay twice the money to fly SkyService before even considering Air Transat.

Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Take care.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal golden akumal

Wow, I am sorry to hear you had such a rotten time with the Air Transat reps. We never have had to use the reps at the resort, thank goodness. We have never experienced a dirty plane and the food, while it isn't the best, it wasn't a cheese sandwich, again I guess we have been very lucky then.

We definitely will fly Air Transat on our next trip and will continue using them when we travel.

Luck of the draw I suppose, just like anything.

But, glad to hear you liked the Bahia, I adore it there and can't wait to go back.

alberta
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal golden akumal

We are going in a few months and look very forward to the experiance. We have been in Mexico before so i think it'll be fun as Mexico always is. We made our plans to the akumal as soon as we seen the brouchure. The reviews are also wonderful for this hotel so we have no reservations about our decision. Book it and have fun..

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal golden akumal

It is a great place. We'll be heading there in November for our sixth time, and looking forward to it!