We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no more tourists to be sent into mexico

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
no more tourists to be sent into mexico

i read on official site that empty planes were been sent in to take tourists out !!!!!!!!!!can anyone verify this i am meant to be going 24 sept .im going to bahia principe but after this hits i may not be.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

I have also read that the UK travel agencies are bringing people back and not taking anymore people in at the moment.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

i dont think we will be going to our first ever visit to mexico. i think this will be a direct hit on yucatan penninsula. i just hope they are ready for it as i have been watching news most of the day

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

BTW, the best source for REAL hurricane info, not sensationalized media exaggeration, is: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov. This is the National Hurricane Center in Miami. They have updates every few hours. Click on "Warnings and 5-Day Cone" for a good graphic.

Dean could still detour and not hit the peninsula at all. That is what we're hoping for.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

lets hope and pray for everyone there. we knew it was hurricane season when we booked.we have insurance anyway we will most probably book another holiday. fingers crossed

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

i have just been on to mytravel,first choice and thomascook websites today and tommorows flights are cancelled

edinburgh
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

ANTI888, hi, when were you booked to go? and which area? we are booked to go to grand sirenis on the 27th from glasgow, spoke to my travel, and they said if the hurricaine hits evan full force on wednesday, they will have the airport reopened, and we will still have to go. nightmare for everyone!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

24th sept bahia principe we dont want to go if it is wrecked people are saying it takes months to sort

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

ani~~There are many factors that will affect the outcome. Once it comes ashore and leaves, they will let the public know the damages pretty quickly. Also, check Locogringo.com for info. The owners live in Akumal amd will give updates on the website right away if able.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

Nobody knows anything until after Tuesday - wait and see

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
777 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: no more tourists to be sent into mexico

I agree, tha we cant make any judgents ntil after Dean has been through The Yucatan.

I suspect knowing UK Travel agents, that as soon as the airport re-opens they will be sending people out there, no matter what type of a state the area is in.

I am due to go to GBPC On the 12th Sept, and if the area is in ruins i dont really want to go, but i am guessing that it will be a case of go or lose all your money, this is what i think UK agents will do, dont know about anywhere else.

As an above poster said, keep any eye on locogringo as i remember after the last hurricane hit, he kept us really upto date regarding damage and repairs.