We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peso Help

Waterdown,On
12 posts
Save Topic
Peso Help

Wondering if anyone could help me out with how many peso I should bring for the week? This is our first trip to Mexico and are just use to taking the US dollar where we go but after reading many post on the forum I get the impression that taking the peso would be a better choice, after all it is their currency. Any advice would be appreciated. the countdown is on.....leaving in 10 days!!

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Peso Help

Whatever the amount of US dollars that you said that you normally take, just multiply by 10 and take that amount of pesos. You can always get more at the ATM's.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peso Help

and is it true that peso is a better choice taht US dollar?

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Peso Help

We have been to Mexico about 9 times and have never taken pesos. We go again next week and have just bought $US again. If you buy using $US you may get pesos back as change.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peso Help

bahia principe

re ATM use -- just wondering if the local / onsite ATM's use a 4 digit pin code -- some out of the country ATM's use a maximum 4 digit code, ie if your pin code is 12345 you will not be able to use the machine to withdraw pesos -- any comments

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peso Help

raeason - ATMs use a 4 digit numeric code only.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Peso Help

you need to change your PIN to four digits for use in Mexico.

tulum
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Peso Help

Genarally speaking in mexico is better to have pesos but the yucatan coast is the exeption, here it dosen't matter you pay in USD you might get pesos of if they dont have small change you might pay in pesos and get change in both currencies here is just the same eaven locals pay with mixed currencies some times

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peso Help

Bring your ATM card and get pesos directly from there.

BOBCAYGEON
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Peso Help

They told me last year that I needed a chequing account to withdraw money at ATM . I changed for the trip and switched back after trip. It worked for me any way.

Kamloops
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peso Help

Do any of you fellow Canadians take our money? This will be our first time in Cancun, but in Puerto Vallarta we take Canadian and exchange it ,for Pesos, at any cambio or bank with no trouble. The rate is comparable to exchanging CDN to US and then to Pesos, and much less trouble. Will this work in Cancun as well? Thanks.