We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal Bay...

keswick, ontario
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Akumal Bay...

We plan to spend a day snorkling out in front of the Lol-Ha but I have read (on a different forum) that there have been incidents involving a microscopic worm-like parasites in the sand that comes from the beach dogs and their fecal matter. Now, these incidents, I believe, happened in Tulum......but still, I'm concerned....especially since I have a 4 year old who likes to play in the sand. Has anyone heard of this ?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal Bay...

Yuck. Man, I've done a lot of searching on various forums and pulled up every website I can find on the Mayan Riveria and this is a new one to me. I personally would not let this scare me away from a trip to Akumal or Tulum or even be worried about it, but the experts may have suggestions on how to avoid this situation if it is indeed an issue.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal Bay...

No worries, we go all the time, have a blast snokeling.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal Bay...

Well, we were just in Akumal Bay for an afternoon with our 4 year old who played in the sand and swam in the water and we didn't encounter any such thing...nor did we even hear anything of the sort.

Don't worry- just go and have a good time!!!

Be sure to have lunch at Lol-Ha- they have the best Mango Marg's and delicious fish tacos!!!!!!! I wish I was there!!!! Yum.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal Bay...

Was just there last Thursday, very safe & a great location.

I saw turtles of various sizes straight out in front of the restaurant in about 15' to 20' of water. An excellent experience!

We had a long talk with a lady that rents a condo for a month each year and has done so for about 10 years or so. We got all the gossip, including the 2 resident baracudas (Barry 1 & Barry 2) of which I saw Barry 1 about 6' in length at least. She never mentioned any concerns about any worms.

Don't worry!

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal Bay...

No worries about Akumal Bay. Was there last Wednesday, visibility was not as good as in May but that was a result of very strong winds Sun, Mon, Tue. 31 boats in the Bay and very busy. I stopped counting at 100 the number of sun bathers and that was just at the North end of the beach. Go and have fun.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal Bay...

Sorry but I also have never heard of this before, and travel as often as I can to Akumal (which is not often enough). I also frequent several other travel boards and have never seen a single mention of this either.

keswick, ontario
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal Bay...

vineyard: It was a recent post on the Tulum forum (within the last 2 weeks).

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal Bay...

to get to Lol-Ha from Coba we are just going to cross the highway and take the collectivo ($2 per person each way) and tell the driver we want to get off at Akumal Bay or Lol-Ha? We don't have snorkling equipment - I am assuming we can rent it. Do we need it if we want to swim out and see the turtles? Do I have the jist?

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Akumal Bay...

The colectivo does not take you right into the town of Akumal and definitely will not drop you off at Lol Ha, it will drop you at the top of the highway and you have to walk in. Yes you can rent snorkel equipment there, but I personally would bring my own mask and snorkel, just for health reasons. I would recommend that you do have snorkel equipment as it gets quite deep.

idratherbeelsewhere, I have never heard about these "parasites", so go and enjoy.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Akumal Bay...

how far from the top of the highway to town? Are we better to take a cab?