We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! re: picking a resort

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
180 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Help! re: picking a resort

I have not had a real vacation in 5 yrs since I became a mom. My mother and I are planning to go to riviera maya over our spring break (we're both teachers) and leave the kids with my hubby and my dad.

I want to keep the costs down, but not stay at a dump.

My mom and I prefer pools to beaches, so an all inclusive resort with great pools is a must.

There are too many choices of resorts- can someone who knows please help me to narrow down my resort search. Our interests are:

1. great pools (at least 2)

2. variety of restaurants

3. quieter resort, not so much "spring break" style places

4. would love to be near shopping or activities

5. would like a resort where you don't need to take a shuttle around the place if possible

Thank you in advance!!!!

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! re: picking a resort

Go to the Bahia Principe (any of the 3 sides), awesome resort, near everything you need. Shuttles, depending on where you stay on the resort, you might need them, but having said that a nice walk after dinner is good too.

It is an amazing resort, and if you stay on one side you get access to the rest. If you choose either Tulum, Akumal or Coba (which isn't on the beach by the way), if you get certain villas you don't need the shuttle at all.

Ask away, there are alot of Bahia Nuts on this forum.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! re: picking a resort

Bahai is great for pools / restaurants but very big / shuttles to take you places and isolated from everthing

If you want better shopping try a resort close or in Playa

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! re: picking a resort

The Royal Playa del Carmen is 1 block off 5th Avenue. It is a beautiful 5 star resort with excellent food, 2 pools and is adult only. The Gran Porto Real is the 4 star sister resort across the street from the Royal and is a little cheaper. For the few dollars difference, stay at the Royal because it is fantastic.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! re: picking a resort

Personally i love the Bahia resort, i am biased because its the only one i have been to in the RM

1. great pools (at least 2)

The bahia resort has plenty, all large and different to eachother.

2. variety of restaurants

There's Gourmet, Italian, mexican, Steak House, Oriental, seafood etc etc

3. quieter resort, not so much "spring break" style places

The resort is that big you can pick any atmosphere you like

4. would love to be near shopping or activities

You are close to Xel-Ha, Hidden Worlds, the ruins at Tulum, shopping at Playa del Carmen is only 30 mins or so away.

5. would like a resort where you don't need to take a shuttle around the place if possible

Erm..... the bahia is a big resort, but i suppose it is as big as you make it, you dont have to go everywhere but i dont mind the shuttles - its part of my holiday really.

I am sure that some of the other hotels in the area are great but my next holiday to the RM will be at this hotel again.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,298 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! re: picking a resort

I agree that the Bahia is big, but only as big as you make it. We've been there six times now. Sometimes we use the facilities of all three sections, other times we use only one section.

I would suggest the Coba section, if the prices are good at the time you're booking, since you're not looking for beach-front property. The quiet pool there is a wonderful place to hang out, and the activity pool is always fun. The a la carte restaurants are top-notch. The Coba section is a little more "up-scale" feeling, compared to the other two.

Good luck!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! re: picking a resort

Barcelo is my first choice.. Great pools, great restrauants.

Bahia would be a close second.

Make you choice based on price since your main choice is pools.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,533 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! re: picking a resort

What about an adult resort - there are a few.

eg Eldorado Sea Side Suites (EDSS)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! re: picking a resort

stay away from PDC if you are trying to avoid a Spring Break atmosphere.

9. Re: Help! re: picking a resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 01:16