We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

I am looking for a solid, reputable company to book this resort. I have contacted Worldlinks and it turns out they book through Apple Vacations. The quote for 14 nights was $2408 (Mar 31 to Apr 14), including taxes, fees, and transfers. I asked what the price would be without transfers as we are going to Playa del Carmen for a week afterwards. I was told that transfers were complimentary, but they would arrange transportation from PDC to Cancun for an additional $45. Complimentary transfers? Really? When I received the credit card authorization form today, the price was $2478, which included a $40 processing fee. I don't know what the other $30 was for. No mention was made of the transfer from PDC to Cancun. The arrival date was the same as the departure date. They also got the flight information that I sent them wrong. And besides signing and then faxing the form to them, they wanted a photocopy of both sides of my credit card and a photocopy of a picture ID. I have travelled all over the world and have never come across anything like this before. So I have checked out Travelyucatan.com and Cancun.com and they appear to be the same site, at least the booking information is identical. The price is good, but I can't find any reviews of this company. Locogringo seems to be well thought of so that is a possibility. I would appreciate any suggestions or information any of you might have.

Cheers,

Doug

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

Use any last minute travel place such as belairtravel.com or retag travel, all will give you better prices than the ones you have, complete with transfers. The prices from the above mentioned sites are airfare included.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

I have heard way too many negatives concerning Apple.

Try LocoGringo, we had alot of success with them last year, They have a huge ABR following. LG can help you out with transfers as well. The gringo owners live in the area and know what they are doing.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

Thanks Skier05 and Tulu. I think for peace of mind I will book with locogringo. I can't use the sites Skier05 suggested as we are booking flights and accommodation separately (using Aeroplan miles). Really looking forward to great times at Akumal.

Cheers,

Doug

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

If you are looking for air fare as well, LG does not do that.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

Hi Skier guy. Thanks for the info. Packages (flight and hotel) have never worked for us as we always go somewhere for 3 weeks or more and often stay at more than one hotel (usually condos). This time we are using Air Canada's aeroplan points as we need to start using the large amount we have accumulated. It's tough having a free flight, but we'll try to get used to it. As I've been exploring various forums, I've found lots of your posts and fine them very useful. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Doug

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

Well, I booked the ABR through locogringo today. They replied to my request for information etc. in about 15 minutes. I wrote back confirming the rate and the 14 nights. Within 30 min received the news that the room was available and also a link to a secured site to deposit 50%. It took me about 2 minutes to pay by credit card, with no hassles and no surprise charges. Immediate confirmation of payment. This is the way it is supposed to be. I'll report on the trip when we return in late April.

Cheers,

Doug

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

oldscorpio;

Good luck with that, have a blast. I know you will.

8. Re: Best company for booking Akumal Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 12:21