We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions to Akumal beach

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Directions to Akumal beach

Hi everyone and thanks to all that contribute tips on this forum as it's been very helpful. I know I've read it in past but where do you direct a taxi to drop you off to spend the morning at the ABR beach?

Thanks for your help

Coba, Mexico
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

I guess it would depend where you are coming from. I see you are from Minnesota so I would suggest you head south west until you get to Mexico. After that you may want to head towards the Cancun area.

Once you get there find an internet cafe and make another post . I will send further directions once you get there.

minnesota
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

Yep I guess I wasn't clear, was I?

Assuming you are staying slightly north of Akumal, where would you direct a taxi?

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

if you are close to the 307 hwy. just catch a collectivo (sp) on the hwy for 20 pesos per person, just get off by the"over the hwy walkway", at Akumal walk straight down the road toward the water about a 10 minute walk. hope this helps, or take a cab to the beach for aboutr 10 dollars each way depending how far away you are.\

cheers

Marjorie

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

There is a guard shack at highway 307 and the road into ABR. But I doubt the guard will let you in.

You could always take a taxi to the arches or LolHa rest. and walk South a bit. Last I heard, ABR offered a day pass for $30 per day.

illinois
Level Contributor
568 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

snorkelingnut, I have to tell you a great story about our snorkeling trip at ABR beach.. we took our kids last year.. 19-28 ..4 of them..to ABR.. first time they snorkeled, we could not get them out of water .. they had so much fun.. you will see turtles, families of them, its awesome.. the north end of the beach area was fantastic...my husband and I go several times a year, all over the Caribbean, this is our favorite.. Have Fun!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!

We are coming back for a few days just to hang at the beach and snorkel in Feb..

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,067 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

There is a pedestrian overpass at the road into Akumal. Taxi drivers should know it

The ABR resort is a few minutes south of it

Remember the beach is all public so you can walk /snorkle in front of ABR (if you get there via Lol-Ha / arches) but if you want to use any of their chairs / facilities, you need a $35 day pass

Boston
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

Instead of a $35 dollar day pass, just go to the dive shop to the left of the LoL-Ha and rent a chair for $5.

You would think an "Expert" would know this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

Just a little bit of a clarification for those of you have PM'd me on this day pass thing. ABR stands for Akumal Beach Resort and it is an all inclusive resort in Akumal Bay. If you want to use their facilities you will have to buy a day pass.

Having said all that, there is no charge to be on the beach or to snorkel in Akumal Bay.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you can get a longe chair for $5 if you want from the dive shop or just use your towels on the beach.

All the taxis know where Akumal beach is, just tell them you want to go to the Lol-Ha restaurant in Akumal, and you will get there.

Hope this helps.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,067 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

Towels placed on the beach are free

Nottingham, U.K.
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Directions to Akumal beach

Yes - you can see those towels under the palm trees on the gorgeous beach on the Akumal webcam. I look at it so much I feel like a big snooper. I know I'm not on my own though! I'll be waving at you all over Easter.