We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Cellular

Bellevue, Iowa
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
US Cellular

I have saw a few posts on cell phones. I was just wondering about US Cellular services. Will I get services down in Mexico? Do I have to do anything to get it to work down there? I have heard people say that they had to get them switched over or something like that. If you do have to do something like that could you explain how to do it?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Cellular

Hi fellow Iowan. Go to your US Cellular office and talk to them, they'll take care of it for you. We still didn't have service at the Bahia, but we did in Cancun. At the Bahia, it's easiest to just use the phone cards they sell there, and use the phones that are by the lobby.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bellevue, Iowa
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US Cellular

Thank you so much for your help, but the only thing is that we are staying at the Grand Sirenis. I am sorry I didn't mention that in my first post. Do you think there is a possibility that I will get service there?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera...
15,502 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
3. Re: US Cellular

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2008, 00:17
Bellevue, Iowa
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: US Cellular

What do you mean use Mexi cellular. Is this an option with US Cellular? I would rather not change my cell phone because I could just use a calling card. I was just wondering what my best options would be. Last year our resorts phone were not working and we had to call using our credit cards and it was very expensive. So, I thought if it was easy and inexpensive to get our US Cell phones changed over and then changed back over that we would just do that.

5. Re: US Cellular

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2008, 00:13
Bellevue, Iowa
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: US Cellular

Ok I am sorry, but I am really confused about this Mexi Cellular thing. What exactly is this. Do you have to buy a phone down there or how does it work? I have never heard of it. Thank you though for all your help; I guess I just don't know what it is?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Cellular

Are you just wanting to call home a couple of times to check in, or are you needing more than that?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Cellular

AshlyClark - generally speaking, if you just want to make a few calls home, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to use a phone card that you buy at the resort -

Look down a few posts - there's a post from a guy named Justin who's there now and says he'll answer questions. Make a post on it about phone cards being available there, and see if he answers.

It generally is easier (and cheaper) than using your cell phone, unless you need it for business.

waukesha, wi
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: US Cellular

I have US Cellular and I called them the other day. Your phone will work but you need to do *228 on your phone to make sure your roaming is all updated. It is an additional cost but cheaper than using the hotel phones. I have the prices if you are interested, I will send them to you.

Bellevue, Iowa
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: US Cellular

If you could send me them that would be great. Thank you everyone for your help