We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

If I planned to do these two places in one day is that realistic. Was thinking Akumal bay in the morning , Lol Ha for lunch and moving on to the Tulum Ruins for the afternoon. Possible or too much for one day

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

It is very do-able. However, I would start out at the ruins first thing in the a.m and work my way to the Tulum beach area, then go to Akumal. Great place for snorkeling! Not really too much for one day, esp. if you have a car.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

Staying at the GBP Akumal , does that make a difference on where to go first? Planning on taxi or collectivo[sp?]

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
585 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

It's usually best to do the ruins in the early am as it can be pretty hot during the afternoon - but if you don't think the heat woudl bother you, your plan would work.

Akumal Bay is only 5 minutes down the road via colectivo - only delay would be if your driver wanted to wait for a fuller van before departing from BP - we had to wait 20 minutes one day due to that.

Tulum ruins- it's been a while but I'm guessing it's about 15-20 minutes south of BP.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

So if I am reading your response right , The GBP is inbetween of these two excursions?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

It is in between but not equal distance. Do the ruins in the morning and then just go to Akumal in the afternoon, its just 3 more mins past GBP on your return journey.

My personal advice would be to do the ruins one morning and then Akumal another morning.

Both places are crowded in the afternoon. The snorkeling is the best in the morning when there are no tours around.

laval, Quebec
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

anyone know how much it is to visit the ruins if you don't go on a planned excursion?

I am plannning to just take the collectivo and go to the tulum beach area. I was thinking maybe to add the ruins on my day trip.

What do you think?

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

Further to the previous question. Are the ruins and the beach area all together in the same area/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

The beach area is a short hike from the ruins.

If you can do Tulum (beach and pueblo) one day and Akumal (and Yal Ku lagoon) another, that'd be the way to go. IMO both are "must do's".

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

okay Tulu now you have confused me. What is Pueblo?

and is Yal Ku Lagoon at Akumal Bay?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum Ruins to Akumal Bay

There are the Tulum ruins, that has a beach.

There is also the Pueblo (town) of Tulum that has a beach.

Admission is about $4 for adults.

i hope this helps.