We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coba Ruins

marlton
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coba Ruins

Were are the Coba Ruins located. How far away from GBP coba? Can you take the Collectivo?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coba Ruins

The Coba ruins are about 45km away from Tulum. You cannot take the collectivo to them. You can take the collectivo to Tulum though. We took a cab for 300 pesos one way (about $30usd) from Tulum to Coba. There may be a bus for cheaper that you can catch in Tulum but I'm not sure.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coba Ruins

From the GBP Coba it's $45US each way for a taxi - easier than doing a colectivo to Tulum, then transfering to a taxi, but if you're strapped for cash I suppose that would work. It takes just slightly less than an hour to get from the Bahia to the Coba ruins. If you're messing around w/the colectivo, then transfer to taxi, it will take you considerably longer, I'm sure. If you take a "chicken bus", I'm sure it would be an interesting ride, but would take even longer.....

marlton
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coba Ruins

Thanks, If we decide to go to the Coba ruins, which sounds like a nice little trip we will take the cab. Does it take about an hour to get there from GBP Coba?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coba Ruins

Yes, an hour or just slightly under. We ate a quick breakfast right after the buffet opened in the morning, and then left. The best thing is to get there as early as possible, I believe they open at 8am.

Winsted, Connecticut
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coba Ruins

sandi-do you know if they are open 7 days/week. we were maybe thinking to go on Sunday?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coba Ruins

The info I have says "open daily", I take that to mean seven days a week. PM skier, he has a lot of info on it.

Winsted, Connecticut
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coba Ruins

sandi, what do you mean when you refer to the "chicken bus"?

Also do you know how many passengers a cab will take, will they take five? thanks

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coba Ruins

Skier calls it the "chicken bus", because a lot of locals take it and you never know who you'll be sitting beside.... Sometimes in the movies you'll see locals in third-world countries traveling with their chickens on buses like that, so they've gotten the nick-name "chicken bus"! It just means that you'll find more locals than tourists using that mode of transportation.

You would never find me on one.

And I haven't seen a regular cab that would take five people, but ask at the bell-hop desk at the Bahia, they may be able to find a cabbie that drives a van or larger vehicle. Most cabs are small, I suppose to save on gas?

Boston...
Level Contributor
156 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coba Ruins

We just returned form the GBP- we rented a car in the lobby ($70 US for 24 hours) and drove to Coba. It was easy- the folks here in Boston drive way worse than anyone in Mexico!

After Coba we ate lunch in Tulum then went to Grand Cenote and then to the Tulum Ruins.

Nice day trip.

Winsted, Connecticut
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coba Ruins

thanks fishguy.you had no issues (insurance or other) with renting a car? what was the fee to swim/snorkel at Gran Cenote?