We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about the Coba

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about the Coba

Two friends and I are staying at the Coba April 16-23. In all the times I have been to Mexico, I have never been to this areas or never stayed at a resort this large. Skier - thanks for sending me the map... I'm a little worried now that we booked the wrong hotel (because of the distance from the beach and the posts that are saying how hard it is to get a chair unless you go reserve one super early). Any advise would be appreaciated.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about the Coba

April 16 (we're getting in that day, also!) will be after Easter and spring break, so you won't have to get to the beach quite as early. But you WON'T be able to sleep until 10-11am and get a chair under a palapa, it just isn't going to happen. I would suggest that the three of you take turns getting up at 8am and going down to put towels & a few personal items on three chairs. A lot of people do it that way, I hate to say it, but you'll have to join everyone else or miss out. It won't be so bad if you take turns! Then just go back to the room.

But honestly, the beach in the morning is beautiful, you may find yourself not wanting to go back....

The Coba is a nice resort, don't sweat it. It isn't that far from the beach. The only time I wouldn't want to be in the Coba section is if I had small kids, or if I had mobility problems.

Me, hubby & 6yo son were in Akumal, Skier & his wife were in Coba. They joined us every day at the beach - of course, we saved them chairs... ;o)

Maybe that's the answer - make friends with someone that rises with the chickens!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about the Coba

Thanks - I usually vacation in Mexico twice a year. Once with the family (they like to watch the sun set over the ocean so we go to the Marival in Vallarta for Thanksgiving each year - the kids won't even thing about going anywhere else) and then in spring with the girls. So for the most part I know the ropes of mexico vacationing. It's just that my friend picked the resort and this is the first time that we are staying at a resort that is this large. I like the idea of the variety but the size is intimidating. I have read all I can find about the resort. I know it will be great just by looking at all of the pictures and reading all of the posts from all of the Coba fans.

How are you getting to the resort?? Are you taking the bus or a private taxi?? I read a post that you can get to the resort much earlier but wasn't clear on the price. Do you book the taxi or van or whatever through your travel agent?

50 days and counting.....

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about the Coba

We always take a private transfer, whether we book it thru the travel company or seperately. Where do you fly out of? What time do you arrive in Cancun? Did you book as a package, like with Apple? We've booked our tickets, ATA out of Chicago Midway, but we're waiting to book the resort until we can find a good deal, usually we book directly with the resort. We'll be there 4/16-4/26.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about the Coba

We are flying out of Chicago at 7AM on the 16th arriving at Cancun like 10:30 or so. I always use the same travel agent and she booked through Apple. I think we got a good deal. $1,200 AI with tax and insurance.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about the Coba

I guess I should have said Chicago O'hare

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
194 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about the Coba

You got a very good deal for $1200 per person with taxes and insurance. I'm sure it makes a difference what time you go as far as how crowded the resort is but we went last year to GBP Akumal end of April and we never had trouble getting a palapa on the beach no matter what time of day it was. We leave in 2 weeks for the Coba section and can't wait to visit this wonderful resort again. Don't worry about a thing, just have fun.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about the Coba

You didn't book a direct or private transfer? If not, hopefully you won't have too many stops. It can be a long ride, but if you don't have any kids with you, it's not such a big deal. Our son always does the "Are we there yet, are we there yet?" thing. Once we go underneath the underpass at Akumal we tell him "Watch for the blue roof (Hacienda)" - you can see it from the highway from a little ways away.

Right now Apple is having the best prices for our 10 days, but we're hopeful that the price will drop. We usually spend about $2600 for the week for the three of us, but one of us flies free, and kids are usually either free or around $200. So I'd say your price is comparable to what we consider a good price! Right now we're looking at $2600 for 10 days, resort only for the three of us, but that should drop down to about $2200 I'm guessing.

The Bahia SOUNDS big, but it really isn't when you get there. If you want to just hang out in your section you can do that, or you can use the whole resort. I highly recommend, on your first morning, taking out bikes from the Hacienda and pedaling all around the resort just to get your bearings. It will help you get familiar with the place. In the evening we don't watch the shows, we prefer the live music. The round lobby bar on the Tulum side seems to consistently have the "liveliest" atmosphere, with the most people dancing and such, but that can vary. The music bar in the Akumal section has an excellent guitarist. They all end at 11pm, and then the action goes out to the Hacienda, where the activity staff will teach line dancing until the disco opens. We never make it out there, we're the "early to bed, early to rise" kind of people.

Sunrise on the beach is beautiful...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about the Coba

I just did some quick research in response to your questions.

The beach is only a five minute trolley ride or a 5-10 minute walk providing you don't get lost (some people have wandered for hours, lol). Personally I would have asked one of the thousands of workers or guests for directions.

As for the chair part, here is the results of my research.

This is just a sample over the last six months.

1423 post in favor of the resort with nothing to complain about.

6 complaints about chairs and they were all in the high season and from people who expected to find a shady palapa at 10 -11 in the morning.

I hope this helps.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about the Coba

Well, when you say "Chicago" and "Apple" in the same sentence, it's pretty much a given it's O'Hare!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about the Coba

Skier - "quick" research, LOL!

You crack ME up!