We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

underwater camera

Vancouver, British...
6 posts
Save Topic
underwater camera

going to gbp'akumal' march 26 for 10 days. Planing to do alot of snorkling and water activities. My kids are 7 and 11, and I want to get some decent pictures. What type of camera do you guys recomend. Is there something cheap my kids could use as well?

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: underwater camera

i found a disposible underwater digital camera at superstore for $19.95. i am getting one for our next trip. it includes the cord to connect to computer. if i remember correctly it took 50 underwater shots. forget the name but was in the electronics section of the store. should have bought it when i saw it last week because you don't have to pay for developing like you do most throw aways.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,538 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: underwater camera

For adults, I would recommend a Sealife or Olympus camera but for kids, do a search on Vivatar

The one mentioned here does not use a removable chip so you must be near a computer for downloads

Boston...
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: underwater camera

I found a used "Fantasea" (www.fantasea.com/) housing for my Nikon digital camera on ebay. It was cheap and works great. They make these watertight housings for many digital cameras- sure beats buying a new camera.

I just got back from the GBP Akumal- you will love it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: underwater camera

We used the disposable underwater camera, and although it works, the quality is really bad.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: underwater camera

happyVancouver...... Definitely don't know the best type of underwater camera to recommend but I must tell you of a good place to go just off the Tulum section of beach where there are hundreds of good sized fish to feed and take pictures of. Go down to the Tulum beach and walk off the Bahia property away from the Akumal Hotel. You'll be on public beach but off the Bahia property. Go to left about 800-1000 feet past where the fishing boats dock about 200'. The beach is quite nice in this area but still can see patches of coral reef. This is also a superior area for swimming with substantially less rocks and coral. Wade out about 40-50' and throw out some bread or bun pieces which you can take from buffet. Seems instantly the fish appear all around you and appear to be starving! Most are about 12" long and many different types incl. coloured fish. The kids will especially enjoy seeing the sight of these schools of fish. They also liked pieces of banana. We didn't have a waterproof camera but I would have loved to have some gotten some pictures of the feeding frenzy! Have fun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: underwater camera

That is an excellent place for fish, it is right in front of the Grand Oasis Hotel. There used to be a large pier there, I do not know if they have rebuilt it yet, it was not rebuilt as of November.

It is not recommended to feed the fish bread or bannanas, but having said that, everyone does.

All beaches in Mexico are public, even the ones with the resorts on, so you do not have to worry about being on private property.

I hope this helps.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: underwater camera

For really good pictures I recommend a digital camera with an underwater case. I bought a Canon a couple of years ago plus the case & I have UW pictures on my walls at home & the office. I even has an underwater setting built in.

The newer ones are even better and less $.

I have done the disposable route on a couple of cruises & was very dissapointed. But then, I'm a camera enthusiest! The disposables may be ok for the kids, but nothing you really want to hold on to unless you get real lucky with a shot. Maybe 2 ok pictures on a roll of 30. As far as the didposables go, the Fuji are reportedlly the best.

Hope this helps!

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: underwater camera

I'm with Skier, please don't feed the fish bread or bananas. If you must feed them, bring down some marine fish food. You can purchase it at any local fish supply store (Like Big Al's). The fish cannot digest the bread or bananas properly and some of them die because of it, for what, a few minutes of pleasure for everyone to take some photos. This question was asked years ago and one poster was extremely irate about feeding the fish bread. I will try and find the post and copy it, as it made complete sense.

Ontario
Level Contributor
351 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: underwater camera

We were there a couple of weeks ago, and people that we met had bought an underwater digital camera at wal-mart for around $25. Holds about 200 pics and is re-useable. They were really happy with it for the price and thought it was better than the disposable underwater camera. Hope you have a good time, we had red flag days every day and unfortunately the water was very rough so didn't get much snorkelling in. We had a wonderful time anyways! Enjoy!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: underwater camera

I bought one of those underwater bags and it actually worked quite well. A true underwater casing for your digital camera is better but no one makes one for my camera. The bag is kind of awkward to use and a few times I caught the sides of it in pictures, but it allows you to use your regular camera that you are comfortable with.

I've tried the disposable route and didn't like it at all. You can't review the pictures and delete ones you don't want and you are limited to 24 pics.