We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

Toronto
Level Contributor
936 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

Just came back form Gran Bahia. Wanted to warn ppl...you personal thing can be stolen.

In the first day toulet in our room didn't flash, I notified front-desk, the told me not to put toulet paper into toulet as it's not allowed in Mexico and promised to send somebody to fix it.

In the evening toulet was fixed, but from out room new sandals of my son were stolen todether with beach tower. At the beginning I didn't understand why they stole also towel, but after understood that the thief should've wrap sandals that it won't be suspisious. I spoke about it with front desk , but it was waste of time.

Couple of days later my crocks were stolen from Coba beach.

I visited hundreds of resorts/hotels include Cuba, Bahamas, Turkey, Israel and so on. NEVER I didn't get my stuff stolen.

Maybe this is style of life in Mexico?!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

I had a bike stolen here in Toronto, but have never had anything stolen while on vacation.

Unfortunately theft can happen anywhere. For the one person that it happens to at a resort another 1000 can go to the same resort and nothing is stolen.

The Bahia has a good reputation, other than this unfortunate incident how was your stay at the Bahia?

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

This appears to be reaching epidemic proportions. I remember a series of posts last fall about mysterious disappearances from a room, cigarette butts on the balcony and cats wearing stolen Tevas.

SHEFFIELD
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

Hi There

cant comment on the items stolen from your room that was just unfortunate, but the crocs taken from the beach was most likely a random tourist and not a member off staff reading all the reviews this hotel has a very good reputation.

I Can also stress its not just mexico

sandles taken fron hotel lobby salou

sunglasses pool side rhodes

camera oops i left it in a taxi in fuertaventura but couldnt get it back.

never let it ruin my holidays

I am a trusting person but rubbish happens its all over the world.......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

Gibot:

So sorry to here about you stolen shoes.

Toronto
Level Contributor
936 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

I don't think that crocks were taken by some tourist by mistake, it happened late in the day when there were no tourists close to my place...

And sandals for sure were stolen by staff member.

If somebody think that it's not truth...I don't care... just wanted to warn potential travelers.

As regarding my general opinion about Gran Bahia, I'll publish report later.

In couple of words I can say that resorts is OK , but nothing special. Last 3 years in a row we visited Cuba )Cayo Coco, Cayo Guilermo and Holguin) and we liked Cuba much better. Food, entertainment, people much better in Cuba. Beach at Bahia - disaster, cannot even be compared with Cuba's.

The only thing that we liked better at Bahia - swimming pools (especially at Akumal)

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Cayo Coco
Cayo Coco
Jardines del Rey Archipelago, Cuba
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

I remember that Terry, the Bahia conspiracy theory.Safes being broken into not once but twice. Anyway I digress.

Toronto
Level Contributor
936 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

skier - the point is that your thing may be stolen from your room...it doesn't matter shoes or some different stuff.

But for sure, I'm not going to this resort anymore ... next year - back to Cuba

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

Regarding stuff stolen off the beach, that could happen anytime, anywhere, considering the number of people on a beach at a hotel of that size.

Regarding your shoes stolen from the room, did you report that to management? What did they say about it?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

Gibot:

All I said was that I was sorry about your stolen shoes. Everyone that responded said they are sorry and no one said they did not believe you. Every one that has responded so far has said that theft happens everywhere.

Again, I'm sorry that your shoes were stolen or that a theft happened to you. We all believe you, theft happens everywhere.

We look forward to your review and thank you for the warning.

Toronto
Level Contributor
936 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BE AWARE! You stuff may be stolen!

"Every one that has responded so far has said that theft happens everywhere."

Probably, as i said I visited hundreds of places and such thing happened only in Gran Bahia.

When I told about it at front desk , they called housekeeping I asked them if they took the sandals from the room... You can guess what was the answer... than they send me to Public Relation and I didn't like how they talked to me... at the end they tolad me that I can fill out report and than security will go to my room with me and perform search.... and that after security will investigate... I didn't want all this mess, as I understood from behaviour of public relation girl that it will be only waste of time.

Obviously, that guy who fixed toulet stole it... because it happened between 7 and 9 pm when we were dining.