We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrips with kids

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrips with kids

We are staying at the Grand Sirenis with our 3 kids, ages 7-10. We would like to do a couple of outings off the resort and definitely plan to go to Tulum ruins. Does anyone have some other suggestions? We are also thinking about snorkeling somewhere.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrips with kids

Marlene...we just returned, stayed at Bahia Principe, had a great time...we did an excursion called Tulum Extreme (not as extreme as it sounds). If your kids are adventurouse, it's a blast. We did a series of three zip-lines over the jungle (first one, a little scary, after that, a lot of fun), a rappel down about 60 ft. (all of this very safe), swimming in a cenote, and then to the Tululm ruins for a partaially guided tour and then time to tour yourselves, or swim at the beach. The van picked us up at approx. 8:30, and we were back at the hotel by 3:00. We were with two other families that had kids the same age as yours, and they had a great time! I think it was $86.00/pp, with lunch included. Hope this helps.

Halifax
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrips with kids

Xcaret...its a must do....

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrips with kids

Marlene915

We are also staying at the Grand Sirenis with 3 kids, ages 6-10 in May. We are planning on going to the Tulum Ruins on our own(cheaper) and also taking the kids to Yal-Ku lagoon to snorkel as I believe it is alot calmer than ocean snorkeling for the kids. I believe they can both be reached by taking a $2 collectivo.

One piece of advise is take plenty of mesquito spray when you take the kids to the Ruins. It is quite expensive there and when we went last June the mesquitos were terrible.

Toronto
Level Contributor
898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrips with kids

marlene915, you may go to Hidden Worlds Cenotes it's on half way between Bahia and Tulum Ruins. Pretty fun snorkeling in 2 cenotes (but don't go zip-line).

http://hiddenworlds.com.mx

London, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytrips with kids

I agree xcaraet is great, check the web site out.

Its a national park with a few places to snorkel a nice bay style beach front with rubber rings for the kids.

a small zoo area and a little jungle trek, caves to swim around.

In the early evening there is a mexican horse show and then there is in a massive outdoor style theatre a mexican sort of tradition/history night with singing and dancing (some kids may find this boring some will love it)

California
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytrips with kids

We returned last night from the Grand Sirenis with 3 kids (14,11,9). Had a great time. Good hotel for families.

We did a day trip to Yal-Ku. Planned on taking the Collectivo, but were worried about not all fitting inside on one bus. Glad we took a taxi (140 pesos). Yal-Ku is a bit of a walk in the sun with kids and gear from the highway. The snorking was excellent for kids, very calm with little surge in the back areas. Bring bio-sunscreen (they sell it for 130P). They require it. Entry was 70P/adults, 50P/kids, equipment another 50P. We walked from there back to Akumul Bay. It's a little over a mile and we should have taken a taxi. The kids got a bit cranky in the heat. We hung out in the afternnon at Akumul Bay eating lunch and swimming. Snorkeled the outside reaf and saw 4 turtles (very cool!).

We did another day trip to Xelha. It's pricey, but the kids had a great time. Van ride both ways for 9 people = 900P, adult AE = 750P, kids AE 500P. Food was OK. Good snorkeling. It did not feel crowded on Saturday when we went. Lots (hundreds) of large tuna and other types of fish under the floating bridge. Saw a few rays. Cliff jumps were fun. Rope swing is a joke. Overall pretty good family fun.

We wanted to do a self guided tour of Tulum and then boogie board afterwards, but never made it. The snorkeling at GS a decent for kids, although the surge was significant the farther we went out.

Hope this helps.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytrips with kids

Xcaret - part zoo, part water park, and great show at night. Our kids were younger than yours and they handled snorkeling in the underground river just fine.

Xel-Ha - there is nothing finer than floating down the river to the lagoon on an inner tube with the sun on your face and your butt in the cool water.

Grab the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel, and take a cab to the marine park, Chankanaab. You can swim or interact with dolphins (I'm not convinced this is in their best interest, so I avoid it) but it's on a reef and there is also good snorkeling, and a great beach there. Relatively cheap if you don't do the dolphin thing.

Visit the caves at Atkun Chen - it means "cave with an underground river inside". And so it is. Also Stalactites, Stalagmites, and every kid's favorite, bats. A guide takes you through. Also a refuge for deers and monkeys (not in the caves!!) see atkunchen.com

There are lots of little cenotes besides the better known Hidden Worlds which are frequented more by locals and just cost a few pesos. Great for any budding cliff jumpers in your family.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytrips with kids

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I don't how I'll decide!

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytrips with kids

We also did Tulum Extreme and it was a blast, the boys both really enjoyed themselves as did my husband and I. Still to this day my son and his friend talk about this part of the trip everytime they see each other.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daytrips with kids

We have decided to do the following with our kids (10 and 12). We are renting a car for a few days.

Akumal Bay and Yal-Ku

Tulum Ruins and swimming

El Eden and Dos Ojos Cenotes, possible Hidden Worlds

Chichen Itza

Shopping in PDC

Arranged a tour of the Palladium (next vacation stop)