We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveller's Cheque or currency

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Traveller's Cheque or currency

Hey guyz. Headin to GPB in 3 weeks but can't decide whether to take dollar traveller's cheques or currency. Can traveller's cheques be used just like currency in the resort and Playa del carmen just like u can spend them in the states. Or will I have to change them into currency all the time ( at possibly a charge)

This may seem like a stupid question but i got stung in portugal last year with hotel chargin commission just to change euro t-cheques into euro currency!

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

Hi Tiger2k8 . there has been lots of talk on another site like this about travellers cheques Other than the resort your staying at, will have a very hard time to cash travelers checks. Even in the US it is hard now.

We just take Us and Pesos with us. a money belt to wear on your way down there .leave all with your valuables in the room safe , just take out what you need for the day . Another option is your debit /bank card or the new pre paid m/c /visa cards

that you load up with your $$$

Too many places /business have got stung on travellers check in PDC so only cash there,you could use your regular Visa card but I would not take the chance

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

We have always taken US dollars with us and got any extra needed out of the cash machines (that dispense pesos)

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
988 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

The hotel will charge you to cash t/chqs and you won't get a particularly good rate. I have some travellers cheques that go on every holiday with me and come back home again with me! I just never cashed them in after my last trip to europe and now take them away purely as an emergency fund. I may have to think about cashing them in as I'm sure American Express must have changed their design by now (honestly they are that old). Don't forget to get lots of 1$ bills as they are really handy for tipping.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

Take cash, your ATM card and credit card. Leave your travellers checks at home. Not many places except them anymore.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

Hey guyz. Thanks for the feedback on my question. I am goin to take cash as it sounds like the least hassle and most cost effective way.

Would it an idea to take a small percentage of pesos as well to spend up in playa del carmen or is there little difference?

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

In my travels to the Riviera Maya (10 times) the only place that does not take US cash is the Tulum Ruins. I am refering to the tourist areas with this statement. I would take US funds plus your bank card for use in an emergency.

Hope this helps.

Lansing, Michigan...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

st returned from the GPB and I only took cash. I took LOTS of singles to use for tips and honestly did not spend that much money because everything was included. When we went to Tulum, I did pay with AMerican dollars and dollars were also accepted and the little bar and restaurant that you pass on the road into the ruins. Have a lovely time...it is a magical place.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
988 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

I used to take a few pesos mainly because Tulum ruins had to be paid for in pesos. This is not the case any more and there prices are displayed in dollars. If you are paying for any trips through your holiday rep the prices are in dollars. They will of course accept credit cards. This year I will only be taking dollars.

Cincinnati Ohio
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

Hello Everyone,

American dollars, especially ones and fives...besides cabs and the airport, we mostly use dollars to tip....

Enjoy,

Paul and Sherry

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
137 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveller's Cheque or currency

The fist time i went to Mexico i use travellers cheques and they can be such a nightmare! some places take forever to figure them out and if your signature is not the same they will not take it! I will be using US money this time!