We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
137 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

I've seen some people on LG say that they are being moved from GBP Akumal to Bahia Principe.. isn't this the same resort? or is this a diff section?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

They are being moved from the Akumal Beach Resort (that had a fire) to the Bahia Principe Hotel.

The Akumal hotel at the Bahia is a different hotel than the one that had the fire.

I stress again so there is no confusion, the fire was at the Akumal Beach resort on Akumal Bay not at the Bahia Principe Akumal Hotel.

They are not even on the same bay.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
137 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

Okay wow i was VERY confused for a moment.. i thought the fire was the GBP Akumal.. wow thank you for letting me see it wasn't.. (i guess i read it too fast) Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

That's actually a pretty nice upgrade!

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

HollyWorton: That's actually a pretty nice upgrade!

Actually, Holly, I'm not so sure. While it seems like an upgrade on paper, alot of the people that like the ABR have a tendency NOT to like the Bahia and vice versa. They tend to want different things. Primarily the ABR folks are big beach and snorkeling people, and they tend not to like the big resorts. To be fair, the same is true I think in reverse. The people that like Bahia may dislike the ABR because of the different style of rooms, smaller buffet etc.

Consider me an example of that. I love the ABR but didn't care for the Bahia. I probably would want a different resort. I'm not knocking the Bahia at all - I just think that people who like one may really not like the other. :)

I think people should be clear to their TAs about what their preferences are.

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

Heidico, I have to agree with you we are waiting to see just what our options are going to be, I am really hoping not the BP, we also have been to both and like you say, love the beach and to snorkel we really are not nite people either. (have to get up too early to snag a palapa at the ABR)hehehehe. Also on all the vacations we have been on and that #'s about 25-30, have never swam in a pool. LOVE THE SEA!

So keep you fingers crossed for us as to where if any where this coming Sunday.

Cheers

Marjorie

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

Heidico, I have to agree with you we are waiting to see just what our options are going to be, I am really hoping not the BP, we also have been to both and like you say, love the beach and to snorkel we really are not nite people either. (have to get up too early to snag a palapa at the ABR)hehehehe. Also on all the vacations we have been on and that #'s about 25-30, have never swam in a pool. LOVE THE SEA!

So keep you fingers crossed for us as to where if any where this coming Sunday.

Cheers

Marjorie

Marjorie: so sorry you have to go through this. A suggestion: Can you ask the travel agency to see if they could book you into the Playa Caribe (non AI, but right next door to ABR). You could eat at LolHa (they have a meal program with them), La Cueva del Pescador, Lucy's, Imelda's, etc. but still stay on that beach. Another alternative (although not that greta snorkeling) is the CRT (Catalonia Riviera Tulum, formerly the Copacabana). It is a smaller AI on a pretty beach about 10 minutes north of Akumal.

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

Thanks, I am just getting a little antsy as we were almost packed and of course we have no evening attire, (not required at ABR) which is another reason DH loves the place.I have been looking at CRT, I am just not sure it will be an option as Signature Vacation does not have them on their list of destinations. Again thanks for your concern

Cheers

Marjorie

canada
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

marjmy,

please let me know any new news. I am booked for

may 11th and do not want to go to the Bahia either.

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

who have booked thru? and have they not given you any options either?

that is what my cocern is WHERE, I have to wait until 9:30 that is when TA office opens, but I will certainly let you know

cheers

marjorie

10. Re: Move to Bahia Principe because of fire??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2009, 22:48