We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Airport, New Terminals

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
779 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Airport, New Terminals

Just wanted to let everyone know how good the new terminals are at Cancun airport.

Anyone who has been to Cancun airport before will know just how bad the old terminal was, long queues, no air con, nowhere to eat, just in gerneral it was a really rubbish airport.

Just come back today and the new sections are great, check in and security on arrival was a breeze and leaving was great, really fast and when you get past check in they have a few places to eat/drink/shop.

We had a fantastic meal at TGI Fridays before boarding the plane.

One thing to watch out for, they are really strict if you are even slightly over on the luggage weight, its charged at $20 per KG, even if you are only point 1 over its still classed as 1 KG.

All in all, i think this is the best airport we have travelled through.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

Gotta Love the new TGI Fridays, we eat all the time there now before boarding the plane. I think the new terminal has been up and running now for a couple of years.

Its unfortunate that not evey airline flys out of the new terminal, some people don'tknow what thet are missing.

It the Airlines that charge for the extra weight not the Airport, but you are correct, some airlines are very strict when it comes to weight. I just make sure that I read the web page of the airline I am traveling with and ensure I am within the weight allowances, that way you won't be charged any extra.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
779 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

Yes true, it was First Choice, forgot to mention that.

We flew from the new terminal last sept, but due to our transfer getting us to the airport very late, we missed the whole airport experience as we had to rush through and then straight to boarding.

Never ate at a TGI before, i will be going there back in England, theres one not far from us.

Thanks aswell Skier, i think it was you anyway? who reccomended USA Transfers to us, they were great and would defintely use them again. It was because of the private transfer we got to enjoy our time at the airport before depature.

Just as we cleared security i could see all the coaches arriving and long queues forming, sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it !!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

mhlmike:

Your more than welcome for the USA Transfer tip, we use them all the time.

Look forward to your review.

Barrie
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

what is the US transfer tip - leaving for GBP june 13

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

If you do not want to take the big bus to the resorts that the tour agencies provide, you can take a private transfer to the resort that costs about $65 each way.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

This is referring to Terminal 3. I think that it has been open about a year. One source says it opened 17 May 2007.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

mhlmike we are going with First Choice in just under 2 weeks. WE are thinking of booking a private transfer. Did you book your transfer through first choice or independent?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

Private transfers must be booked independantly. You can book then online.

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

i have a question. when you arrive at cancun airport and check in is it a general check in or do you check in with your own airline. in puerto vallarta it wasn't the individual airlines and lots of people were getting dinged because their hand luggage was weighed with their check baggage. i just checked air transat and we are allowed 40 kg each plus an additional 15kg each for hand luggage. i printed it out and am taking it with me just in case there is a problem.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Airport, New Terminals

You check in with your airline.