We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

It'll be my first time snorkeling. I'm traveling with one other person, no kids. I definitely want to check out Akumal Bay for the turtles/reef. Would you suggest also spending time at Yal-ku lagoon? It seems some lately haven't had the best sightings of fish here.

I'd rather not try Xel-ha or Xcaret as they are theme parks, crowded and expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
Akumal Bay Beach...
5,137 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Yal-ku Lagoon
Yal-ku Lagoon
2,648 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,192 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

There very close together, might as well try both.

I personally did Yal-ku lagoon once and did not see anything like what was in the bay. Maybe I did not swim in the right place.

I find the Bay far more exciting and interesting.

Just a personel opinion.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,922 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

Yal-Ku does charge ($7 US) to get in. Water is very clear if you go straight or left of where you pay/enter. Great is Akumal is too windy.

Yal-Ku also has some small mangroves so you get to see some small fish that hang out there. If you have time do both and let us know

Then there is Half Moon Bay which is much more deserted but has some interesting sites. PM me and i will send you some maps

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
461 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
New Mexico
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

If you are a first time snorkler you might want to start at Yal-Ku because there are no waves so it wont be as hard to just get a chance to see how it all works. The price to get in is now 9 US dollars and you can get a locker if needed for another 2 US dollars. Keep in mind Yal-Ku gets crowded by late morning with the tours coming through so try to make it earier if you can. I agree that when you get in go to the left side and you will get to see much more fish. While we were there a few weeks ago we saw some parrot fish and I even found a trumpet fish hanging around the surface.

If the weather permits and you feel confindent after a while there I would try half moon or Akumel to see some turtles and other sea life. Enjoy!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

We just returned from our trip to the Riviera Maya and snorkeled in both Yal-ku and Akumal Bay. We started in Akumal Bay and then went to the lagoon.

I agree with the previous poster that if you are a first time snorkler, you may want to start at the lagoon. We saw lots of fish while we were there.

Personally, I enjoyed Akumal Bay more. We saw turtles and stingrays and a huge barracuda. We didn't get all the way out to the reef but still really enjoyed it.

Hildy

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Akumal Bay Beach...
5,137 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
574 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

I have done both. I prefer Akumal Bay all the way

If your just starting out snorkling, just stay shallow till your use to it. Venture out further as you get comfortable. Wear a life or snorkle vest, you will be fine

Mentioned in this post
Akumal Bay Beach...
5,137 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

Thanks for all the advice. It seems like we might as well try both and do it in one day. We are going to buy our own gear and hope that we use it again sometime soon!

Convenience-wise, we will be coming from GBP so what might be the easiest way to go from the resort to both locations and back? (If we weren't worried about the order of going to both places.)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,922 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

To see both in one day, take a taxi ($10) from BP at 8 am to Yal-Ku Lagoon (they open 8-8:30 ish). Spend a couple of hours

Then walk back along the Half-Moon bay road for 15-20 minutes and stop at La Buena Vida Bar for a refreshment/snacks / brunch and view of HMB (you can also go snorkeling - send me a PM for a map)

Then walk to Akumal for 10-15 minutes, stop by Lucy's for an Ice Creme and head to the Bay for more snorkeling and waving at the web cam

Then Lol-Ha for Happy Hour / Coconut shrimp at 5 pm and catch a taxi or Colectivo back

Day in paradise

Mentioned in this post
Yal-ku Lagoon
Yal-ku Lagoon
2,648 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
461 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
La Buena Vida
La Buena Vida
3,477 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Michigan
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

Vancouversundog,

We will be staying at the new Azul Sensatori Jan31-FEb 7. How far is Puerto Moreles from Akumal? What would be the best way to get there? Your day in paradise sounds just like a day in paradise that my husban and I would enjoy! It will only be our second time in Mexico and have never been to Akumal/Puerto Moreles.

Any info you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias.

Mentioned in this post
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Cancun
Azul Beach Resort...
10,383 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: first time snorkeling: Akumal Bay vs. Yal-ku Lagoon

Puerto Morelos to Akumal is about 70-80 kms or 50 miles.

You can get there via colectivo but you will have to change vans in Playa Del Carmen as the colectivos run from cancun to PDC and the different ones run PDC to Tulum.

A taxi would run you around $45 -50 US one way.

I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum