We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

akumal beach resort fire

carpinteria, cal.
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
akumal beach resort fire

any information on when the Akumal Beach Resort main restaurant/bar will reopen. I understand it burned down. Planning on going in Dec., thanks, larry

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: akumal beach resort fire

They are in the process of rebuilding now and the latest has the rebuilding to be completed by September.

You can get lots of info on the ABR at Locogringo.com

Maryland
Level Contributor
830 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: akumal beach resort fire

Like Skier05 said, they are currently rebuilding and should be fine by the time you get there. Worth the wait. ABR is a great little resort with great people. We were there 5 days before it burned down. It was beautiful before and I'm certain it's going to be as, if not more, beautiful than before.

Enjoy your trip.

PS: I used to live in So. California and just love Carpinteria. That's a beautiful little area. Lucky dog.

carpinteria, cal.
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: akumal beach resort fire

thanks for the info barrie. have you stayed at the hotel caribe? thought that might be a good alternative to the akb. thanks again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: akumal beach resort fire

The big difference id=s that the Caribe is not all inclusive and has a very small pool.

Its location is great and is right on the beach like ABR.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,743 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: akumal beach resort fire

Hi Larry,

We just got back from 8 nights at Hotel Akumal Caribe May 15-23, had a great time. The hotel is not an AI, but some of the rooms have kitchenettes. All have 5 gallon bottled water in the room and small fridge and coffee maker. Also has AC and there is a recently added small phone system (think it just works locally). There are no TVs however if that is an issue, but short walk over to the Lol-Ha, which will usually be playing either CNN or ESPN. They keep the rooms very clean, front desk staff is nice and generally speaks good fluent English and there is constant security on the road to and from the hotel.

carpinteria, cal.
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: akumal beach resort fire

thanks everybody for all your input. akumal is a great little jewel. carpinteria is a neat little beach town, like going back to the 1960's. thanks again, larry

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,670 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: akumal beach resort fire

Larry, they have now started to replace the main tall wooden poles so work is progressing

We will be at ABR for xmas/New Year's. Same time as you?

Toronto Ontario...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: akumal beach resort fire

Does anyone know where to find a package deal (air & hotel)out of Toronto for the Akumal Caribe Hotel. I have checked all the packsge tour brochures and can't find anything...Dave Pickard

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: akumal beach resort fire

I do not believe you can book a package with the regular tour operators, you have to book air and hotel seperate.

Let me know if you find any package deals, thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: akumal beach resort fire

Last year we stayed first at the Hotel Akumal Caribe for 4 nights and then waltzed down to ABR for 3 nights. We did not enjoy ABR. I guess it is different if you have kids, but as 2 middle aged adults, we were somewhat bored. Didn't expect that at an AI.

We preferred the hotel as we weren't tied down to eating a buffet 3 times a day. That buffet at ABR got old quick. We also preferred to supply our own drinks, knowing we had good quality booze and mixers, also not available at ABR.

The snorkeling is the best in front of Hotel Akumal Caribe, and the pool is a decent size and wasn't busy at all.

Every night at the ABR we were wishing we never left the Hotel Akumal Caribe. The only thing we liked about the ABR were the kayaks. Unfortunatly, we only went out in them once, as they all were being utilized.

We saved money by not staying at the ABR. We were able to enjoy the great restaurants in the area, ate and drank whenever and whatever, and didn't feel "obligated" to stay on the grounds.

IMO the ABR works well for families, not for couples.