We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips/Water

portersville, pa
3 posts
Save Topic
Tips/Water

Ok, from what i have read, I'm under the impression that when you tip your housekeeper, etc., you can tip them in either dollars or pesos. Does it matter which one? Also, how safe is the water for drinking at the Grand Sirenis?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips/Water

The water is safe to drink and you can tip in either dollars or pesos.

portersville, pa
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips/Water

Good deal, I was starting to think I might have to bring an extra suitcase with bottles of water.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips/Water

From the various discussions on these boards (some of them a tad heated!), it's more convenient to the recipient if you tip them in pesos.

Having said that, a tip in dollars is better than no tip at all.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,947 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips/Water

Water from the taps have been purified but there is lots of bottled water there as well

For tips, its sometimes hard to get small pesos (10-50) when you 1st arrive so lots of us bring $1 US bills (in good condition / no coins) for tipping until you can get pesos (e.g. ATMs)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips/Water

I would air on the side of caution and only drink the bottled water. Each room is has at least 4-5 small bottles and 1 or 2 large bottles that hold about 2-3 litres. We used the bottled water for brushing our teeth too.

Also, grab a couple for the bus ride back to the airport!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips/Water

Just so you know US Dollars are fine but please do not tip in Canadian Loonies and Toonies!The maids and bartenders can not exchange them and what they try to do is ask a visitor to exchange them for US money( which I have done no problem) So try to tip in Pesos or US cash.

7. Re: Tips/Water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 04:17