We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

Our family of 5 (3 kids 16, 14 and 9) were planning on going snorkling at Yal-Ku lagoon and then to Akumal. My questions are: what time does the lagoon open? Do they rent vest there? Is it worth going to both places as we will have to rent vests at both places? What time does Akumal start to get crazy? We will be coming from PDC. Thanks for your input.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,510 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

Been to both many times.

Head to Yal-Ku 1st at 8-8:30. Opening is Mexico time so you may have to wait. No vest rentals. Big tour buses arrive at 10:30-11ish so that is the time you leave and head to Akumal. They have vest rentals at the Dive shops ($5 per day each). I would only take a vest for Half Moon Bay

Akumal has tours (buses and boats) arrive between 10:30 - 3:30 but the bay is huge.

Give me a PM and I will give you a snorkel map of Akumal and Half Moon Bay

Have fun

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

We went to Yal-Ku last week and hired vests from a Dive shop in Akumal thinking that they didnt have any at Yal-Ku but when we got there we saw that they had a few. If you get there early in the day then i would say you would be alright but they didnt seem to have many so like the above post says $5 each for one from Akumal might be a safer option, get the cab to hang on for 2 minutes while you run in.

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

What time do you think the dive shop in Akumal opens?

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

Also, are there any lockers at Yal-ku or Akumal?

By the time we pay the entrance fee for 5 at Yal-ku it gets expensive. Does Yal-Ku offer a "different" experience that Akumal doesn't have?

Thanks.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,510 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

Yal-Ku is like swimming in an aquarium. Smaller fish, no coral unless you go out a bit, mangrooves, no turtles, but if too windy at Akumal, this is much more sheltered = good for beginners

canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

Could I ask what a snorkel map is? Is it helpful to find fish/turtles, etc. And where could we get a map?

thanks

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

Does anyone know what time the dive shop in Akumal opens? Also, are there lockers at Akummal and Yal-Ku lagoon?

Leaving in 1 day and hoping to find out. Thanks.

Windsor Ontario
Level Contributor
761 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

There are lockers at Akumal.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

The Dive shop next to lol-ha restaurant opens at 8am (they have lockers for $5).

Also you can have one of the lockers at Yal-Ku, they are $2 each and are easily big enough for 2/3 peoples belongings.

California
Level Contributor
277 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Yal-ku Lagoon and Akumal snorkling

I was at both places a couple of weeks ago. I recommend you rent vests at Akumal because you are in deeper water and even good swimmers will get tired. At Yal-Ku lagoon it's more like being in a calm pool of water so as long as everyone can swim you may be fine with just the youngest having a vest.

Have a great time!