We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

I am currently booked into a Junior Suite at the Grand Sunset Princess, but after reading so many bad reviews I am seriously considering a switch to the Grand Sirenis Mayan Riviera in Akumal, which has very good reviews as far as I can tell.

I have to make the choice by tomorrow at the latest. So far my sister and I are planning to go to Chechen Itza, Hidden Worlds, and Xcharet as excursions. I love snorkeling so I want a hotel with a nice beach but that also has lots of shade on the beach and by the pools since I sunburn very easily. We are 31 and 26 years old and are looking for a relaxing trip with lots of exploring and water activities.

Can anyone make a recommendation to me as to what to do? We can't really afford to upgrade to a Platinum suite, and all of the good reviews for GSP seem to have come from platinum guests.

Is it much less convenient to be in Akumel? Are the excursions and airport transfers going to cost much more and will we be much farther from Chechen Itza? Is the Grand Sirenis worth the extra travel time?

This is so challenging...and I appreciate the help of anyone who writes back.

We really want the best vacation possible while still being somewhat conscious of our overall costs.

Best wishes,

Sara

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

The cost to Chichen Itza will be about the same. the only all inclusive in Akumal is the ABR and it is curently under construction from a Fire a couple months ago.

The GS is a good hotel, the beach is OK but very short. It has some good snorkeling and Akumal Bay is only a $10 cab ride away for some really excellent snorkeling.

A private transfer to the GS is about $130 return with USA Transfers.

I hope this helps.

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

Thanks, Skier.

Can you advise about how the GS compares to the GSP?

I'm interested especially in how the two towns that the hotels are located in compare.

Also, my sister and I thought of taking the bus from the airport to Playa del Carmen and then a cab from Playa to which ever hotel we decide to stay at. Is that a realistic plan, or will it be a logistical nightmare?

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

i haven't been to either resort but am booked to go to grand sirenis in november. mom and her bf have been and loved it. the food and service were both good. i know that the reviews are bad for sunset princess and my only comment is my hairdresser went in january - hated it - wouldn't go back if it were free. she said that there were so many problems and management would address none of them. they lived with a flooded room for 3 days (from a broken toilet) and kept telling her that they would be there in 10 minutes to fix it..........for 3 days. she said that there were a few other room issues that were not dealt with. food was just so so. you can only decide yourself what would be best for you and your sister but truly i would switch. you spend a lot of money to go on a vacation and you want to be at least assured that any problems that come up are at least going to be dealt with. that's my 2 cents for the day

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

Sara,

We just returned and stayed at GBP. We went to xcaret. It was okay. Cost was 99 dollars pp. Included towels,locker,snorkle equip. lunch. Alot of walking snorkling through the caves was cool alot of people so it was crowded. We did not stay for the Mayan show too tired and too hot. If you want dinner and the show it would cost you 45.00 extra. Next time we are going to do Xel-ha (I wanted to do this but I was voted out by 7 other people that were with us.) Locker dep. of 20.00 but you get that back. Have a great time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

SaraBeth8446;

Sorry, never been to the GSP.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,590 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

If you go to Xcaret, don't miss the evening show. It really IS worth staying for!

California
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

We stayed at Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach and loved it. There was plenty of shade if you wanted it available around all the pools and at the beach. I didn't have a single complaint and when I had a problem with my door, they came in ten minutes and the next day called the room to make sure I didn't have any other issues. That's the service you want on vacation.

The beach is small but lovely and we snorkeled everyday and saw a variety of small fish and there is coral everywhere.

Akumel beach is just a few minutes away and we were able to swim with the turtles within minutes of entering the water. Also Grand Sirenis is close to the Tulum Ruins which was a wonderful experience especially the beach at the end of the tour. It is also close to Hidden Worlds and only 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen. Not sure how far the other hotel is from these areas.

Sounds like based on the reviews you have already read you should switch if the pricing is the same!

Have a great trip!

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

Thank you so much to all of the people who took the time to reply to my message.

After carefully considering it my sister and I decided to switch our hotel to the Grand Sirenis. We just felt that there were too many negative reviews of the Grand Sunset Princess. We are relatively easygoing travelers and not expecting miracles but sometimes you have to listen to the voices of experience.

We are going to be there from July 17th until July 23rd, so please feel free to respond to this message if anyone is going to be there during those days and looking to meet fellow tripadvisor posters.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

If it makes you feel any better, our travel agent just switched us from GSP to GBPC day before yesterday due to her clients not having good experiences at GSP. i am glad she did! GBPC looks wwaaayyy better!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Sirenis or Grand Sunset Princess?!?

Oh, you'll LOVE the Gran Bahia Principe Coba. Beautiful resort, great food, friendly staff.