We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Language !

Fox Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Language !

I'm planning a trip for April 2009.

What I'm wondering is if english is spoken much down there ?

If we got to the markets what is spoken english or spanish ? And am I best off to have american money or their local currency ?

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Language !

Hi Lance,

Most people speak enough english so you can talk to them but it is really nice to be able to at least say Hello,Thank You, Good Morning etc in Spanish as the employees of the resorts do appreciate your efforts at their language.We just brought US cash as most places take it no problem. Happy planning!

Michelle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Language !

Welcome to the board Lance.

Spanish is the main language in Mexico as is the peso for currency.

In the tourist areas, some Mexicans speak some English and will accept American dollars. Off resort, in the markets, the retailers will try and help you along with their english.

As a Canadian, I suggest to take pesos, why exchange your money twice.

Fox Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Language !

Thanks for your sugustions.

I have recently baught a Spanish Phrase book that came with a CD . I have been trying to learn some verry basic spanish as I do like having people from other countries try using english aswell.

I figured I try and do the same. I think it shows respect to them. Not to mention it may help !

I'll be sure to bring the Mexican Paso aswell.

Thanks for your help.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Language !

We always tip in US dollars and pay in US whatever we purchase, whatever your choice is...we do take some pesos off resort when we are travelling places other than PDC. US is widely accepted.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Language !

Opps sorry, hubby is fluent in spanish and I am on the learning curve (been around a long time with spanish people), so having said that can understand alot and can speak the ocassion sentence or two. We have been to many off site markets and they do speak english, well hubby prefers to call it spanglish.

6. Re: Language !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 07:21