We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

Here is a funny question (maybe, maybe not)...

Is Chichen Itza and the Tulum Ruins in the same area?? I am looking to book from Canada for one of the tours and the only one I see for ruins is Chichen Itza however it says nothing about Tulum.

If they are not in the same area, are there any tours that I can purchase at GBA Resort at a reasonable price (for Tulum, I hear the beach beautiful)?? Any type of info would be greatly appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

You can book the Tulum, Coba or Chichen Itza ruins from the tour reps once you get to the Bahia.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

Thanks for your reply... Do you know roughly how much it is?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

I think the Chichen Itza tour is about $85 US per person and it takes all day, from 8am until 6pm do to stopping in all the other resorts.

I'm sure you can do Tulum ruins for around $45 US per person.

I would recommend a cab if you are going to do Tulum as it would be cheaper.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

You could also do a trip to Tulum yourself and save money, unless you like to have everything all taken care of for you (nothing wrong with that). You could take collectivo to ruins (US$2pp one way) and they let you off by the side of the road near the ruins. Another US$2 pp if you want to take the tram from the parking lot to the ruins entrance, the entrance itself is about US$4-5 but you have to pay in pesos. Then reverse process, with maybe a stop at one of the beach bars.

With the money you save by doing it yourself, you could get a nice lunch and drinks in Tulum (taxi from ruins can take you to nice restaurants along the beach road).

Have a great time!

toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

Hi, we went to Mexico earlier this month and I would suggest booking the tour once you get to your hotel )just don't do it at the airport in cancun!).

We went to chichen itza and the cost is $99 US per person. We got picked up at 8:30am and arrived back at the hotel around 6pm. The drive is 3 hours long but it's on a comfortable big bus with a washroom and they provide muffins and drinks. When you first arrive they give you 1 hour to swim in the open cenote then you go for lunch and then get a 1.5 hour guided tour of the ruins and then about another 1.5 hours of free time to explore and do pictures. Bring cash cuz they have a market and you can bargain really good. If you enjoy learning about history and culture then you will love this tour, but it is very hot and no shade so dress light and brink a cap or viser! We also climbed the Coba ruins - Coba is the only one you can climb but really not as good as chichen itza. We did the coba maya encounter which includes coba and a jungle adventure which is an all day trip and cost is $120. We did not have a chance to go to Tulum which is my regret but I would suggest going to Tulum! It's beautiful from the pix and located on the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. There are different tours you can book to see the Tulum ruins. You can either go to tulum have a tour and swim on the beach or do a combo trip, there are 2 i know of: first you go snorkeling in 3 different areas (open cenote, closed cenote, and fresh water) and then go to tulum and the cost of that is $86, or you can go to tulum and then xel-ha whicch is a natural water park. If you have any other questions just message me.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

We booked with our agent for Chichen Itza it includes the light and sound show. I still want to go to the Tulum ruins. How far is it from GBP, anyone know?

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

Tulum is right down the road from the hotel. You can catch the collectivo for a couple of bucks of a cab for mabey $20. It's mabey 15 minutes down the road and only costs a few bucks to enter. No need for a guide, it's fairly small. Great carvings and temples, cool walled city and the view is great. By the way the nicest beach to cool down at after wandering the grounds.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

Tulum is about 26 km or 16 miles from the GBP

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

Good to know.. I think we might just take the collectivo...

Hey Skier when are you heading there???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chichen Itza / Tulum Ruins - Tours

We are flying out on Saturday, one more day, Wahoooooo!!