We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza

Dartmouth, Nova...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Chichen Itza

Going to GBP in March. Saw Tulum ruins on a previous trip and loved it. Is it worth giving up a day to see Chichen Itza? I have read so many reviews about extreme heat, crowds, etc. Is it better to rent a car or go on a tour from resort?

oakville ont. canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza

hi sunshine177

I've just returned this morning from GBP Coba and did go to see Chichen Itza ruins. It was a very good trip for me, so it was worth giving up one day at the resort. If you are interested in the Mayan history you will not be dissapointed.You cannot climb the pyramid at Chichen Itza as it is roped off.(You can still climb at the Coba ruins on a different tour). On this tour you will also go to swim in a cenote that is 50 meters below ground level and also a buffet lunch. It is an all day trip leave lobby at 845 am and return at about 6pm.I prefered to take the tour from the resort because of the English speaking guide, air condition bus, cold drinks served, buffet lunch and a swim in a beautiful cenote, all this for about 100 USD. You can also get a taxi (van) to take you there for about half the price...so I was told..

The only thing that I did not like on this tour... was all the vendors INSIDE the ruins trying to sell you souviners.I went to see the ruins, not to buy souviners.

Curly50

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza

HI SUNSHINE,

We have done both Chichen Itza and also Coba, haven't seen Tulum, maybe next year...

Chichen Itza is a great take, and seeing it is one of the new wonders of the world, we didn't want to miss it. It is a long ride, we went from the Playa area, but we did a day tour with Anna and James tours, Mitch was our guide and the day also included a great lunch at the nice town of Valladolid, swimming in a great cenote and the snacks, drinks and an air conditioned van. Small group so no time wasted...

We did the Coba tour with Mitch the year before, again a great lunch across the street from Coba lake, swimming in a cenote (different one) and a great tour of the Coba ruins...

Truthfully, I enjoyed Coba more...Coba are older ruins and not as beautiful to look at as the big Chichen Itza pyramid but so very interesting and our guide, Isabel (who was a man) was just wonderful...it was one of our best days ever in Mexico...But...you may be different, just one persons take on it (know what I mean)?

It was quite hot the day we were at Chichen Itza but our guide kept us to the shade and we had waters, we are in our fifties and nobody really had a problem, we went in June. There were really no crowds on a midweek day in June. It was busy but not crazy. Can't comment on the car thing, really am not the type to be bothers with the headaches of it. In my mind, pick me up, take me there, I get out, enjoy, and then take me back to my hotel :) but again just one persons take...

Jean

What ever you do enjoy...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza

Definitely go. Especially since you loved Tulum. Its worth every minute in the bus. Better to drive... When I went in 1991 before the new highway it was like 3 hours each way and still worth every minute....

Chichen Itza was my first Mayan ruin, and I lucked out to go on Columbus Day (which is the same day as a Mayan holiday) and there were 2000 Maya meeting at the sight. It was amazing and started a lifelong interest in ruins... I've since been to any one I can get to in Mexico, Belize, Guatemala.

The crowds at Chichen Itza or even Tulum when cruise ships are in cant compare with the hoards at Machu Picchu and Angkor - and they're still must do trips!

4. Re: Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 11:23