After spending a week browsing through past forums etc. and being amazed at Skier's ability to post in 99% of them, I have a few questions to ask you guys.
We are in our early 20s and this is our first time outside of Canada on a vacation. Tried to book through Transat for the golden club at GPB Akumal but have an exam on the 8th of december :( so we will have to stick with GPB coba (14 nights leaving on the 9th) with conquest without golden upgrade (which hopefully should be ok).
At the airport, do we have to find our own way to the hotel or is there a shuttle service?
1) Building 23-27 seem to be the most ideally located in the non-golden section. Does anyone have any preference on which one they preferred the most or a room on the third floor with a pool view that we should request?
2) GBP specific checklist so far includes bug repellent (mosquitoes etc.), water-shoes, snorkel kit, small water bottles, $1 in tips ($100 US), towels. Do i need some medication for possible food poisoning? Anything you think i might want to add to this?
3) Excursion wise, there is the $10 cab ride to the akumal bay for amazing snorkeling and a cab ride to the tulum ruins which is close by (how much would the cab ride and the entry cost?). Anything else that I am missing apart from the coba ruins?
4) Do you advice taking any tour guide excursions? If so which ones and how much they would cost? (and yes skier is correct on the no dolphin excursion support).
5) How much cash do you guys usually carry apart from the $100 in tips. Should they all be in US? As advised here I will get them converted here or at the airport. Also are credit cards sufficient for hotel and tour guide expenditures?
6) I will book the restaurants as soon as i check in, are we allowed to book only in coba or also akumal or tulum? Any recommendations on the best restaurants?
7) It seems that the snack bar is only accessible to us in akumal and tulum. What type of food do they generally serve?
8) How do you guys manage to carry all the tips with you when you are at the beach? Is it safe to leave your stuff on the chairs?
Finally anything else you guys can suggest or think of that can make our stay more enjoyable? I apologize for the long list of questions, it's our first ever vacation so we are a little bit nervous about the whole experience. Thanks again guys, this forum ahs been a huge help!!!