We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
154 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

Any questions?

ohio
Level Contributor
285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

how was the volleyball court? were there games every day? also which restuarant was your favorite?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

Did you have fun?

How would you rate the resort?

Was this your frst trip to Mexico?

First trip to Akumal?

First trip to the ABR?

Did you like the food?

Did you eat off resort much?

How was the weather?

Was it cold?

Did you visit the web cam?

Are you going to write a trip report?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

Markis,

Volleyball court was directly in front of the pool right on the beach. They played everyday. Would probably start around 3:30. Some good games being had. One buffet and an ala carte which alternated between Mexican and Italian. Ate their 4 times and it was fine. Italian was a little better for me.

Skier,

Yes fun, but I think you have been their before. Not a real party crowd, but nice. Overall I would give the resort a 3 star rating. Our standard rooms were the pits. The bathrooms are really needing some renovations. We stayed in the north end of the resort where the rooms have not been renovated at all. The last building had a large crack right down the wall where you walked up the stairs from the beach. Not even sure if anyone was staying in the last building as it looked pretty beat. Have been to Mexico several times. Only second time on this side though. Did not stay in Akumal last time, but did wander over to have a look. First trip to ABR though. Food was fine no issues. Just ate at the resort, but other restaurants looked good. Apparently Lucys is now open again and fish tacos are great. Weather was fine, but quite cool, mid 60 in evening. Did visit web cam so back home could see us. May write a report.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

acdrty;

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my many questions. Sounds like you had fun, how can anyone not have fun in Mexico?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

You are right how can you not have fun. Staff were great, killer beach, only disappointment were the rooms. We are not picky people, but the bathrooms were really tired and there was now way they were going to accomodate us in a renovated room without paying more even though it appeared there were rooms available. It was not that we took the attitude to book the cheapest room possible, with the idea when we arrive to complain and get an upgrade. We actully moved three times because the first room had a very dirty bathroom floor and the AC did not work. The second rooms shower handle fell off and the toilet leaked at the base which left pools of water on the bathroom floor. You also had to kinda lean on the front door as it jambed on the tiles after you opened it about 6 inches. Again, you do not spend too much time in the room, but basic maitenance and and somewhat serviceable room is expected. The resort was very safe and security guards were present on the beach, and I am certainly suggesting there were no problems, but I would suggest with just a door knob on the front door it would be very easy to enter the suite. In all three rooms we had you could even see where the doors appeared to be pryed open. Again, I felt very safe and have not heard of any problems, and maybe this is why there is just a door knob and no deadbolt on the doors.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,082 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

Glad you had a great time

Some stay in the standard rooms for the closeness to the beach

Those that want newer accommodations book the Superior rooms where the rooms are much nicer and newer

Vancouver
Level Contributor
154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

Again, the standard rooms really are sub standard and we are not picky people.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

What and where are the riviera rooms at the resort?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

The Riviera rooms or superior rooms are located in Buildings 5, 6 & 7. Building 5 overlooks the pool and the room balconies in buildings 6 & 7 face the ocean.

canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Akumal Beach Resort, any questions?

Hoping to fly to Akumal Dec 19th. Cancun Airport to Akumal comfortable? How many hours does it take 1 or 2? Do they have cots available for children?

I hope the weather is nice.

Excited about our first trip to Akumal Beach Resort. Any recommendations on booking rooms?