We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from GBP Akumal

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Live from GBP Akumal

Sunday, Nov 30, 2008.

Arrived and well. This resort is huge.

It´s 30 degrees and we were in the pool no problem. Water temp is not too cold.

Skier (or anyone), wish you were here. I just have one stupid question. I am supposed to meet my M&G party tomorrow at 11:00AM at the ¨Swing¨ bar but there isn´t a bar called the swing bar. Can you please tell me what the name of that bar is?´ I asked several people here including the front desk and no one is sure what I was talking about. They just pointed me left right and centre and keep saying we have a lot of bars here! Like I don´t know already.

I will check in again tomorrow.

It´s been one heck of a day. The flight down was awlful. No fault of Air Transat though. We flew right through a big system in the south east and the sitbelt sign was on almost all the way. Many people, including DW saw their breakfast again!

Oh Well, got to catch some ZZZs

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

The bar is called "Bar El Mar". Its on the beach in front of the Akumal resort to the right of the two piers.

Geeze, first day on vacation and you are already on the computer, go enjoy yourself, forget the rest of the world and have fun.

Pembroke, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

The swing bar is right on the ocean, about half way between the Tulum section, and the Akumal section. Walk towards the 2 docks, it is right beside one of them. You can't miss it. Have fun, it's a great resort.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

The bar is loctated in front of the Akumal section to the right of the piers as stated, not half way between the Akumal and Tulum sections.

If you walk straight out to the beach from the Akumal lobby, past the pool and white sands bar, it is to your right.

The Tulum section of the hotel would be to your left.

I hope this clarifies the confusion.

Have a blast on your holiday, drink some tequila for me.

akumal
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

Good to hear that you made it. Just want to let you know that it's snowing in TO. Let me know how the bugs are down there. Is it a humid 30 degrees?

Have fun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

Monday, Dec 1, 2008

WHERE IS THE SUN??

It`s cool this morning. Walked out the door and half way down the stairs, I saw a couple of mosquitos. Looked up to the ceiling and there`s the entire colony. Made a bee line back to the room to throw some bug spray on. They didn`t seem to bother us.

Thanks for the tips found the bar and am looking forward to the Beer Exchange at 11:00 with tripper51 and the rest of the M&G gang.

Now got to get ready for the 9:00 briefing in order to get our return bus ticket, so they say.

Will have more later today. It takes a lot longer to type with a Spanish keyboard

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

247Coba. No it`s not that humid. The wind was quite strong yesterday.

Looking forward to meeting you for that mid night snack on Sat. I should be heading over to Coba later this week to check it out. This place is huge......

akumal
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

I wish I could be there now. It was about 2 to 3 degrees today. Do you think we can email the resort to ask if they can book us a room before our arrival. Give us a brief review of the food. Also, I assume it doesn't look crowded because the complex is hugh. Hope you had a great day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

You can e-mail the resort about 7 days before your arrival to request a villa, but remember, it is just a request and now that the high season is upon us, the best villas fill up fast.

You can view the menus at

bahia-gourmet.com/en/losrestaurantes.htm

Keep in mind the web page is very old and some of the a la cartes are no longer open.

akumal
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

Can you let me know if they have homo milk for my child there?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from GBP Akumal

Monday, Dec 1, 2008

9:00PM

IT`S RAINING (but we did get some sunshine during our M&G this morning)

What a day. Met up with a few TA memebers this morning at the swing bar. Exchanged beers with tripper51. Met Ombrelle and her daughters and ran into sunshinesher twice. Had lunch in the Coba buffet, walked over to the activity pool for some lobster paella cooking demo (the lobster never showed though). Came right back to the beach for the afternoon and had dinner at the Tulum buffet.

My son was out before we could get to desert. 50lbs 5yo on shoulder all the way back to villa 66 in Akumal (on a shuttle of course).

Looks like the buffet restriction is still not in place, or that no one is enforcing it as I roamed freely. The waiter, Jesus, at the Coba buffet saw my son`s milk consumption and decided to give him a whole litre carton. Now it`s sitting in my fridge for his first thing in the morning.

By far I think the food at the Coba buffet is the best (247coba you`re in luck. 4 more sleeps for you). I may go back to Coba again tomorrow for more. I booked all the al la cartes for the rest of the week and will talk about them later in this thread. I could not get the Brazilian (or the steak restaurant) restaurant for the time I wanted. (they only have 10PM sittings left. Kind of challenging for my 5yo) but I got some on second choice.

Weather forecast says Sunny with Cloudy periods tomorrow high 26C. Should be another nice day ahead I hope.

Later...........

btw Skier My friend 247Coba is coming down this Sat. I have the email address for Guest Services in Akumal, do you have one for Coba so my buddy can contact them?