We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesos or U.S. dollars?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Pesos or U.S. dollars?

I know that this area takes both the Peso and U.S. money but I was wondering if there was an advantage to haveing one over the other. I am Canadian so I have to change my money either way. Thanks a lot.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

My advice would be to take pesos. The merchants will only give 10:1 on US dollars when the actual rate is 12:1 or more. You will loose 20% on all purchases made in US dollars.

If you can tip 10 pesos for a drink you save 20% if you don't use a US dollar. 20 cents is not alot but if you add up all the drinks over a week, it could be up to 20 US dollars.

I've never found it a problem to get small denominations of pesos.

Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

Current rate is almost 14:1 for USD a little over 11:1 for the CAD. Rather than change twice just get pesos, if your local bank or exchange house is giving 11:1 do it there. Otherwise get it from a bank ATM when you're in Mexico.

Make sure you notify your bank or credit card company that you'll be in Mexico or you may have issues using the card.

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html Good site for currency exchange.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

Thanks a lot. I see you are from Canada and yet you seem to know a lot about this place and area. I assume you have travelled there a lot?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

Been to the area many times or the years.

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

So for my little brain - if a price is listed as $400 at the resort, that means, it's approx $28 USD, is that correct? It took us awhile to get acquainted with the Dom Peso, so I want to have a better idea of the exchange in my head before we go to Mexico. Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

At todays exchange rate 400 pesos will be 29.22 US

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

The resort will use 10:1 as most places do and charge you $40 USD.

Thats why it is way better to pay in the currency of the country you are in, in this case pesos.

Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

400 pesos = a little over $28 US, so if they'll accept the $28 pay with that, otherwise paying with pesos is the better option. Most stores and hotels use the easier to use conversion of 10:1, it they do pay with pesos or a credit card if you have one that is from and American Bank. Apparently Canadian banks are allowed to charge a fee for foreign purchases. American banks are no longer allowed to do this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

US banks are still charging a fee. They are just calling it an exchange fee:

www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20010416a.asp

Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

Is there an ATM close to the ABR or should we hit one at the airport when we arrive?

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pesos or U.S. dollars?

We can't get pesos into our bank before we go, so I was planning to take about $400 american, but maybe we should rethink and just take a couple hundred and pull pesos out via ATM when we get there. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!