We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Favourite Drink

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,481 posts
Save Topic
New Favourite Drink

The ABR Manager forced me to try Xtabentún (a mexican liqueur)

A wonderful evening liqueur

Xtabentún is a liqueur made in Yucatán, from anise seed, and fermented honey produced by bees from the nectar of xtabentún flowers. To this anise and honey mixture, rum is added. Because of the rum content, the xtabentun liqueur is sometimes called a "distilled honey" beverage, which is misleading, because the honey alcohol is itself fermented, not distilled.

The word xtabentun means, “vines growing on stone” in the Mayan language.

It is usually served straight, cold, or with ice and honey. It can also be served with coffee, creating a drink called Mayan coffee, or with one shot of tequila and an equal part xtabentún, with half a lime, you get a Maya margarita

Please try it on your next visit

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Favourite Drink

I bought a small bottle of it and brought it home.

Kinda reminds me of sambuca...kinda

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Favourite Drink

Its my favorite drink, try it with some Egg Nog at Christmas.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Favourite Drink

I would say it reminds me of sambuca, also. And I think it's one of those things that either you like, or you don't.

I would encourage everyone to give it a try while you're down there - just so you can say you've tried it, if for no other reason. I'm not fond of anise myself, so I wasn't surprised that I didn't like it. My husband drinks it in something that I think is called a Mayan Melon, or something like that? It's a bright green drink.

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Favourite Drink

I,m with sand-in-my-pants on this one, I tried it with great expectations as everybody raved about it-but they hadnt told me it was aniseed flavour (which I hate), yuk!-what a shame I'll just have to have another margarita instead :)

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Favourite Drink

Shared half a bottle over ice with a friend over the holidays. Do not know if he remembers though.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Favourite Drink

Oh dear... if it tastes like Sambuca there is a pretty good chance that we're bringing a bottle home with us. ;)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Favourite Drink

Karl:

I remember it well, half a bottle for the two of us. I think I chose at that point to take a small nap.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Favourite Drink

An Xtabentum-induced nap, eh? Does it make you dream that you're back at the Bahia??? It might be worth it, even though I don't like the taste.....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Favourite Drink

I can heartily recommend the 'Skier Nog' (equal parts Xtabentum and Egg Nog with ice ).We tried it Christmas Day with 6 friends to rave reviews.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Favourite Drink

Can you buy this Xtabentún in the states or is it only available in MX? Sounds like something I would like to try, but a return trip in MX is not in the cards for me for a really long time.