We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe in Mexico???

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Penna
Level Contributor
384 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe in Mexico???

geee so many people are telling me " Oh, be careful in mexico" or " You know they are telling people NOT to got to mexico right now" whats up with this????? We booked about 3 months ago and this is my 3rd trip there... has something happened since this time last year to change for vacationers???????

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

It is still safe to travel to Mexico. However take care like one should visiting any other foreign country. There has been a lot of pub about the Drug cartel and all of the murders along the border between the US and MX. For the most part these crimes are thousands of miles from the yucatan Peninsula. Go enjoy and let us know your vacation story.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

We just got back from the area about a month ago. No problems with safety or security.

The issues that are being brought up in the news are from a northern part of the country about 1000 kms away according to posters on other forums.

Just yesterday, my mother in Victoria, British Columbia was concerned about us going to a violent region and two weeks before, someone in a grocery check out line in Fort McMurray Alberta were concerned about us going to this area with all the drug cartel violence hype.

It is safe in the state of Quintana Roo where the Mayan Riveria is located.

Feel free to take advantage of the "search option in any of the Mexico forums to see if you can come across any recent relevant threads on the topic of violence and safety in the area. There is lots of information there for you to pick through that is recent.

minneapolis minn
Level Contributor
654 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

if you feel your safe anywhere outside your own country,,your silly.always use common sense.we were on riviera maya,4 rooms down, and there was a contract hit on the occupants,,,who knows..heres a tip,,IF your walking down a shopping street,and notice some guy down the alley,waving at you to COME HERE,and hes hold some stupid half of a coconut with pipe cleaners stuck in it,,lol,,,JUST SAY NO!theres lots of scary stories,,U plan on not being one of them,,

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,897 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

"if you feel your safe anywhere outside your own country,,your silly"

Given the crime rate in the US, I'm surprised you feel safe INSIDE your own country!!

To answer the OPs question - if you're not involved with the Mexican drug trade, you're at no higher risk that you've been for the past several years.

With respect to optimus' post re: a contract hit - well, that obviously wasn't a random crime and that sort of thing can happen the world over. If you're not involved with underworld types, I seriously doubt that you need to worry about being the target of a contract hit.

Bad things can, and do, happen the world over. Don't leave your common sense at home and you'll be just fine.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

Valen,

Perhaps I can add mi dos centavos:

Like anyplace in the world, there are some areas which are considered a "no-go". Along the US/Mex border, there has been "heightened concern" with cartel drama, but generally, if you don't go looking for trouble (drugas, chicas, etc.) it will not find you.

If you by chance have your vacation booked in Juarez or TJ, I would first question your choice of travel agent, then question your motives for going there in the first place. If on the other hand you are heading to Cancun, Playa, or some other resort town, you will be fine and safe.

In all of my trips south of the border, both to resort destinations and otherwise, the only thing I was truly afraid of was the water. Specifically, forgetting to keep my mouth closed in the shower or forgetting to use bottled water to brush my teeth.

Don't believe the hype in the media and have a wonderful time on your vacation - I know I will in less than one month!

-mike

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
568 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

We just came back from GBP and my biggest worry was that I would be overtaken by spring breakers and have to join in and I'm waaay to old for that! No worrys, if you don't associate with bad people doing bad things, you should have no worries too. :)-

Hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

optimusprime

4 rooms down...contract hit

Is this the couple from Ontario a few years ago at the Barcelo or a more recent one?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

Pure speculation on that, no one knows, and if you do have legit info you should be contacting the authorities and not posting it on a travel board.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
777 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

I feel more unsafe in my home city of Manchester than i do in and around Akumal, Playa etc...

Like everyone else keeps saying, just because you are on vacation, dont leave your common sense at home, use it as you would anywhere else in the world.

st helens
Level Contributor
307 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe in Mexico???

I know what you mean mhl you can even be attacked by visiting football managers.