We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

I've been paying close attention to GBP Coba reviews, since we're "booked" there, departing May 23rd - but now of course they've closed that section and so I've been reading the GBP Akumal reviews. In reading over the most recent reviews I know what's happened at the GBP, and find the fact that they've closed two of the three sections understandable, given the severe lack of occupancy. What I can't understand is people who arrive and are shocked to discover what they would have known had they bothered to read Tripadvisor postings, and then have the nerve to slag the resort via a Tripadvisor review for not offering the number of services they expected! Do you realize that the estimate in tourism losses to Mexico are in the billions of dollars? Do you not think that closing sections and associated buffets is something they've been forced to do, rather than a scam to rip off unsuspecting guests? If not, then I guess it's just all about you.

Indiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

Hmm that is interesting. I also wonder if people are being told in advance by their booking agencies. Most of the sites I have been comparing prices at show all three Akumal, Tulum, and Coba available for all of May and beyond, with not a word of the closure or even possible closure. I tend to wonder if I booked would they even tell me??? (Good thing I already know!) I think this information is the responsibility of your booking agent, not the hotel itself (unless you book directly through them).

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
449 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

Jeez, Betty, some of the posters herein call me cynical, but I will commend you for pointing out the patently obvious; that a lot of people believe it's just all about them. It's enough to make them think, but most don't bother.

UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

Check out the GBP web-site. Doesn't even mention that they have closed over half the resort.

Not everyone has time to read forum posts on TA and everyone has a right to post a review of how their experience went from their own perspective.

I know the review your talking about, and I'm glad it's there. We go in 10 days to GBP and the hotel won't tell us anything, neither will the Tour Operator. I'm seriously concerned, educated and prepared, but possibly like the reviewer don't have any options. We're being forced to go or lose our money.

Indiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

I noticed that too about the GBP website, that its not mentioned on there at all. I also noticed the specials are the same as before the flu scare and closure of Tulum and Coba. I would think if they offered some great deals it might help them get occupancy up a little? but what do I know...

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

We were in GBP Akumal in March....and I am confused as to how people think they are going to lose money? It is an all-iclusive resort. The drinks are good, the food is good, great beach, awesome pool. If you want to do any tours, of course it costs extra. You don't get much more by being upgraded to the Golden section, apart from fruit and robes. Everything is close by. The people at these resorts work their butts off so that people like us can go and have a great vacation. It isn't their fault that the swine flu hit. As for the hotel not saying anything, do you really think they are going to tell you to go and spend your money somewhere else...NO! They want you to come to their resort. The swine flu has effected Mexican tourism very hard. Many people are changing their destination all together. They are doing the best they can with the hand they have been dealt. If people don't do the research on where they are going and staying, then I say more fool them. I checked out GBPA for about 3 months before we went, and I was not surprised by anything. What I saw is what I got. It is a shame they have had to close down the two other sections, but obviously with the amount of tourism that has been lost over the last month, they cannot afford to keep it open. We spoke with many people staying in those areas, and they would have rather been in the Akumal section!!! The real bummer is the a la cartes that won't be open...but honestly, the only one that was worth it was Mikado anyways. The Akumal buffet was great and there was always something there for everyone. I'm sorry but I totally agree with Betty on this one. True, people are free to post their opinions, but I don't think it is right to slag the resort because people don't know what they are getting into. For the price you pay for these vacations, why wouldn't you look into it first before you buy??? Just like the saying goes, "Buyer beware!" I for one, have nothing bad to say about the Akumal or Gran Bahia Principe. I will return there again and again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

I agree with the above post...I could not have said it better myself.

Of course if "I" had said anything like that my groupies would be all over me telling me off for something.

It's very refreshing to see that others think as I do when it comes to the Bahia.

Indiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

Eaglesrest, I dont know if you have been to GBP before, but there was one thing in that particular review that I think should be pointed out -- the red flag thing on the beach. That has nothing to do with the current cutbacks. As far as I can tell its like that much of the time, at least this time of year. When we went last year in June, except for the area protected by the little piers, the red flag was out every day. It's windy and the bay isn't as protected as some of the others in the area, thus kicking up the waves. I wouldn't say that its at all unsafe to swim in but they do put up the red flags which means you cant borrow the watersports equipment. I think it makes much more sense to bring your own mask and snorkel anyway, then you can use it as much and as often as you want, it fits you properly and you dont have to worry about someone else having had it in their mouth!!

St. Albert, Alberta
Level Contributor
273 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

I can only imagine how uncomfortable the non-English speaking (in Mexico!) staff must have felt dealing with this customer if she went ballistic just because the dining room was closed when she arrived. It appears to have gone downhill from there.

Some people set themselves up for a miserable time by letting situations that are out of their control ruin their trip. Most vacations are what you make (or want to make) of them.

UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

Ok thanks. Take the other points but to be fair none of you have been to gbp during the past few weeks have you? Well we might be going in a few days and the feedback i've seen from those that have actually been, inc some big gbp fans varies from we don't recommend going, to stay away for now.

We will lose money if we cancel. TO wont let us cancel or transfer but also wont fly unless the fco lift the travel restrictions, so thats what i meant by being forced. Glad those that went in march had a great time.

I would be interested to here from anyone who has actually been in the last couple of weeks who has really enjoyed it even with the closures, reduced entertainment etc. Sorry but not advertising that 2/3rds of the resort is closed on your website is just wrong.

Indiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I can't believe the perspectives of some reviewers!

I agree with you Eaglesrest about the mixed reviews on the current conditions. I believe there were at least one or two die hard bahia fans on here who said they recommended NOT going with the resort in its current status.

I am also very interested to hear reports from people who have returned since the cutback or who are there now. One thing I am particularly interested in is the food offerings at the buffet. I read on another board that the choices were very limited and it seemed like the same things were being served everyday. Normally there is a seemingly endless selection of different types of food and each night features a certain theme. Is this still happening? Also, what about entertainment? Shows, animation team??