We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

update from firstchoice 19th may

england
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
update from firstchoice 19th may

Those travelling between May 23 and May 27 2009 may amend their holiday free of charge and select a different destination or alternative date up to the same value already booked. Should they wish to cancel, a full cancellation fee will apply as per our terms and conditions.

Those travelling from 28 May to 30 June 2009 may amend their holiday at a reduced amendment fee of £50 per person (including children). Should they wish to cancel, a full cancellation fee will apply.

We will endeavour to ensure customers are able to travel as per their original itineraries, however, due to some hotels closing due to lack of guests and a consolidated flight programme being finalised, some changes may occur. Changes that are driven by the tour operator (ie. a flight time differential of 12 hours plus) will be viewed as a major change as per our terms and conditions. Accordingly, customers may amend their holiday free of charge and select a different destination or alternative date up to the same value already booked or cancel at nil amendment fee.

Normal booking conditions apply for travel from 1 July 2009 onwards.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: update from firstchoice 19th may

Thanks for that. We're travelling with First Choice to GBP on the 1st July so luckily none of this applies to us. Hope everyone else travelling before then gets sorted out.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
2. Re: update from firstchoice 19th may

classcavalli,

my boyfriend went into first choice today as we are due to stay at the GBP 20th june for 3 weeks and asked about cancelling just incase we cant find another option if the hotels stay closed or if we rebook with a diff tour operator and he got the answer that because normal cancellation fees apply now they would take 70% of the total cost of the holiday because departure date is so close even though most of the complex closed!!!!! so the options left are to go even though there will only be the akumal open or pay the £50 each to change destination/hotel/date. its so hard to decide what to do! has any one else decided whether they will still go to the GBP even if tulum and coba stay closed?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: update from firstchoice 19th may

yes we have decided to still go, it will be no different from any other hotels at other destinations

wigan, england
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: update from firstchoice 19th may

Hi

We have decided to still go, although we do only travel 15th July so there is a chance that one or both of the others are up and running by then. My thoughts are that the facilities just at the Akumal are probably the equivalent to what is available if we were to transfer to another hotel in Mexico so will take a punt.

Mind you wasnt an easy decision, had to pay up the balance yesterday and only decided last minute to give it a shot, we need to get visitors back into Mexico to help their economy and their people

uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
5. Re: update from firstchoice 19th may

hola - eight of us from the UK still going to GBP on 9th June...despite Coba and Tulum being closed we figured that having three a la cartes and 2 buffets to choose from still gives us more choice than at a lot of other hotels can offer at full 'working order' Im sure with the Canadian flights up and running again in june we will be fine and it wont be quiet! You have to contextualise it - GBP is a huuuuge resort!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: update from firstchoice 19th may

It is so encouraging to see people still going - good for you! Enjoy your vacations!

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: update from firstchoice 19th may

i am sure you won't be disappointed with staying with GPB. the akumal section is actually my favorite of the complex. and arlequin (akumal's gourmet ala carte) is my favorite of all the ala cartes. have a fabulous time

england
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: update from firstchoice 19th may

my favourite part was the coba coz thats were evertyhing was going on, we are aged 23, and akumal is to quiet for us, i just hope if improves it just wont be a holiday if its to quiet, thanks for ou opinion

9. Re: update from firstchoice 19th may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 06:28