We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane season!

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane season!

Don't get me wrong, I am super excited about my upcoming August trip to Akumal, but really if I have to explain one more thing to my overprotective mother-in-law I'm gonna go crazy! First she said cancel, there is too much drug violence, then cancel, there is swine flu. Now, we are watching the news and they predict a higher than usual hurricane season! Of course we decided to convince four of our friends to join us this year and they are constantly texting me...are you sure we'll be okay? Well we are going rain or shine! So lets all prey for no hurricanes hitting Akumal this year! Not just for all of our vacations, but for the turtles too :) After all, August is baby-making time for them :)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane season!

LOL

Life's too short to worry about "what if.."

Yeah it will be hurricane season but that's a risk you have to take, same with the swine flu it's just another risk. We take them everyday right? so why let something like that interfere with your holidays?

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane season!

We traveled in October for three straight years which is also hurricane season. We have always had great weather and occupany is low so it is like having the resort to yourself. Enjoy and don't sweat it.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
91 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane season!

between the flu and bad weather what are you going to do. hope she does not find out about the drug war thats 1000 miles away. or the riot/protest on isla mujeres a few days ago. well i am sure you will have a great time and just block the news channels on her tv and your mother in law will be fine.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane season!

Tell the mother-in-law this: If you stay home you could, get hit by a bus, slip in the shower and break a leg, fall down the stairs, get bit by the nieghbors dog, have your house burn down, get food poisoning, have a heart attack, have an airplane fall out of the sky onto the roof of your house, get in a car accident,

ect., ect.

I just came back and found it to be a safer place than where I live (Venezuela)

Go and have a great time-you will not regret it. Also you have the added bonus that there will be few tourists.

If one worries about what COULD happen one would spend thier whole life being miserable.

If you are not into all-inclusive resorts and want a great two or three bedroom condo right on the beach in north Akumal check out Vista del Mar condos-walk out the front door and onto the beach and you can snorkel with the turtles just meters away from the beach!!!!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane season!

I'm not worried, there last year in August! Last time we stayed at Dreams, but never stayed at the resort because there is so much to do. We actually are staying at Vista del Mar, 3 bedroom condo booked through loco gringo! I can't wait! Does anyone have a suggestion for a camera in the $300 range that is good for everyday use but can be used underwater too? or am I just dreaming?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane season!

northwestlady 321,

Check out the Olympus Stylus. I bought one and used it to get underwater fotos AND video clips snorkeling in Akumal and got some great shots of fish and turtles,ect. It has several modes for underwater pix.

Its pretty easy to use once you get the hang of and takes awesome fotos and not so bad video-it is water proof rated to 3 meters, so if it is just for snorkeling it would work for you-if you need something for diving you will have to get something more advanced.

I think mine cost about $180 if I am not mistaken.

7. Re: Hurricane season!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 05:20