We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frizzy Hair Woes

Ontario
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Topic
Frizzy Hair Woes

Okay, I know there is no way my hair will be straight when I am in Mexico. It will be frizzy or at the very best curly. But why is it so dry too? I appreciate the ocean and the pool water are hard on the hiar. But at then end of day when I shampoo and condition it still looks bad. Anyone have a routine and/or a product that is helpful. I am going to a wedding at Bahia Principe Nov and I would like my hair to look okay for it.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

Hi

John Freida do a great collection of products for frizzy hair. Have you tried frizz eze serum?

My hair is naturally straight, but still straighten it hahahahaha, so don't know wot it is like to have frizzy hair, but I know alot of people use friz eze or simular products.

Aussie do a miracle moist shampoo, which I use and a 3 minute miracle condition which is really good too.

Hope this helps you

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

I have frizzy curly hair, and no, never bother to try and straighten it on holiday.

What I do is use a leave in conditioner, (or even just a normal one - get a travel size and keep it in your beach bag with a comb, after swimming, comb a little through your hair. If your hair is long enough plait it or wrap it around itself to keep as little as possible exposed to the sun.

I find the water tends to be softer than it is at home which makes my hair soft and flyaway.

You can actually get products these days that are like sunscreen for hair. Costs a bomb! I just stick to the normal conditioner.

Alberta
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

a friend of mine swears by "Infusium 23", it is a leave-in conditioner that makes her hair look curly, not frizzy.

My hair is the same, so I know your pain...maybe bring some cute hairbands and let it go natural - for the wedding you could pin it loosely with bobby pins and put an artificial flower on the side, that always looks classy in tropical wedding pictures.

Ontario
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

Thanks All. I do use Infusion products and the John Frieda. I will take a bunch of stuff down and see what I can do. Maybe a cute bandana (not for the wedding). There was a product I used once that I had to order on line from Sephora - can't remember the name. I think it was somewhat helpful (it was a few years ago).

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

Can I just say that much to my dismay, my husband went nuts over how fizzy/curly/crazy my hair got during our week there this past April. I just let it go and did not fight it. He told me there it was sexy, and has mentioned it several times once back, how that was the sexiest he remembers my hair! That made this curly headed lady thankful for my husband of 31 years! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

You have two options: go natural and wavy/curly, or try to straighten it.

Either way, you should invest in a product designed to protect your hair from sun, sea and pool-water (they usually sell them in the travel/suncream section in shops) and use this daily.

You should also use conditioner every time you wash your hair, and invest in a good anti-frizz one. It's also a good idea to get into the habit of using an intense conditioner (one you leave on for around five minutes then rinse out), before you go, esp if you use heated stylers on your hair; use it once every 2 to 3 days at home, and every day while away.

When blow-drying hair, use a heat protection spray to help prevent damage. Also use an anti-frizz styling product, and if straightening or blow-drying hair, do so in small sections

Otherwise, consider up-dos if your hair is long enough, and maybe consider having your hair done professionally on the day of the wedding.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

I am in the Melissasmi camp. My wife's hair looks great in Mexico. At home she has just a very slight curl, but in Mexico it curls right up.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

i have also been worrying about this, my hair is naturally curly but I straighten it at home, but I know that it is going to be a frizzy mess in hot heat, will my hair go curlier when in mexico, my hair is curly now but not a nice curly just slight, I dont mind if it is a proper curl as my hair is jut past my shoulders

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

Maybe, I can help with why your hair still looks dry at the end of the day even after shampooing and conditioning. Both salt water and sun are really hard on hair. After going in salt water the very least you should do is to rinse you hair with clear water in one of the showers on the beach. It would be better to actually go to your room and shampoo the salt out of your hair. For sun damage, there are leave in conditioners with sun screen in them. You can also try to use a heavier conditioner while on vacation than you normally do at home. You can use the heavy conditioner in addition to the leave in conditioner.

I have hair like yours. I have the same problems that you describe here. I am, also, a hairdresser. These tricks that I posted here are what I do for better hair on vacation. It took me a lot of trial and error to come up with these things to do. Still, while on vacation my hair is not what it is back at home. But, I'd much rather be on vacation with sad looking hair than back home with nice hair.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frizzy Hair Woes

Well, here's my personal plan of attack and I get to use it again in a couple weeks time. As someone else said, condition every day, if you don't already. Humid as it is down there, the moister your hair, the more likely it is to cooperate. With that in mind, if you can get away with it, don't shampoo the day of the wedding, just rinse really well before conditioning - it'll leave your hair the least stripped possible. While there, I use two different post-shower regimens, either; A)Bumble & Bumble tonic lotion followed by John Frieda Dream Curls (both are basically spritz leave-in conditioners), or B)just Bumble & Bumble Curl Conscious creme (I am probably sounding like a B&B employee - just a satisfied user, after years of trial & error). You may want to get travel sizes of the more expensive products people suggest and give them a try on weekend days, between now and November, when you feel okay going curly. Good luck!