We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what has bit or stung me

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
what has bit or stung me

i have been bitten or stung about a week ago while in mexico and have got a large dark red patch about 3 inches wide and 3 inches in length at the top of my leg it has still not gone, does anybody know what has caused this and should i see a doctor?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what has bit or stung me

If you've had this for a week, why wouldnt you go to the doctor.

I have no medical knowledge, but it might be a jellyfish sting:

Symptoms include an intense, stinging pain, itching, rash, and raised welts.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what has bit or stung me

we only got back 2 days ago, I have had no itchin or pain with it! my son has also got the same marks on his hands, there was some sort of yellow fly thing in our room on the day we got it

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what has bit or stung me

It could have been a Tabano fly. Some people have quite severe and varied reactions to their bite. But they typically clear up in 3-4 days. A spider bite is also a possibility.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
996 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: what has bit or stung me

Ann I'd say it was the yellow fly type thing. we were warned about them when we arrived. I got stung on the foot by one on our 2nd/3rd day and I still have the mark. Dont know what they are but they sit on you and suck your blood until you swat them away.

Most of my mosquitos bites have disapeared now but that one bite on my foot still remains.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
996 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what has bit or stung me

Sorry forgot to say, if it hasn't cleared up within a couple of days no harm in going to the doctors. Mine has really calmed down but still visable, yet mosquitoes bites have disappeared.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what has bit or stung me

In your situation, with the length of time you have had it, I would suggest you see your doctor.

7. Re: what has bit or stung me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 05:19