We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

we had a fab time a GBP

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
we had a fab time a GBP

well we are back and had a great time, we did have a couple of problems but they were soon sorted out, when were arrivd we were really impressed by the loby, how grand it was, we were greeted by a cool glass of shirley temple which my boyss loved and drank lots of these on holiday!

We were give our villa reqest coba 26 but when we arrived in our room it only had 3 beds,they then moved us to villa 22 which had 2 doubles and a sofa bed, which was a brilliant location and we were really pleased, they then sent us a bottle of champagne for the inconvenience which was a lovely gesture !

we also did not get our bands (tip for those going make sure you get them at check in, when we got our they were gold, dont know how we got them) so off I went to the loby and they wanted us all to go to the loby to get them, the boys were in the pool after near 20 hours of travelling, I said no I was not getting them out! they were really good and came to the pool with me to put the bands on (I did tell them our son was disabled so maybe this was why)

another tip, do not start off tipping the fridge man, we did and on the day we forgot we got nothing, the fridge was left empty, so we left tips and it was filled, when we forgot again we got nothing! he was playing games I think, I had to call 6 times to get our fridge filled and water to the room, 2 bottles does not last long for 4 people - they guest relations were really good and when we got back one night they had left and eveloped saying they had booked us into an extra ala carte, they had even checked what bookings for the restaurants we had already done and what time we ate, we were really pleased!

We left $2 everyday for our room cleaner he did a brilliant job, clean towels daily and the boys loved coming back to see what towel art had been left!

we ate at:

Don Pablo - lovely highly recommend it (A/C)

Arlequin - lovely highly recommend it (A/C)- try the fillet mignon - wow!

Grna Tortuga (Brazillian) - ok, just overfaced with lots of meat!

Mediterean - really nice again but very hot

La Gourment - lovely highly recommend it (A/C)

Mikado (Japenese) - wow this was a brilliant experience, it is also A/C my ten year old who is very fussy had the Japenese meal and even at with chopsticks, fabulous

Mexican Tequilla - Ok very hot again

they also do a childs menu at the ala cartes, my son had this and loved the chicken.

We had booked in at the Italian but had been warned of other guests that it is very hot and somebody had even got up and walked out because they felt sick it was that hot, so we cancelled this and booked a different ala carte!

The buffets were excellent, very high standard, I have never ate so well, I love salad and there was lots of it, also the shrimp, oh my god, lovely, we do not get shrimps this size in the uk, they were amazing, loved havin them with salad, my 14 year old son loved these. Also in the buffets they is a children section that is a child height so the kids can get there own food! loved havin champagne for breakfast!

We met a few trip advisor members out there, howmanybikinis (Julie) and her husband colin great to meet you, do you remember that day when it rained and we sat under the swimm up bar at coba pool drinking ha ha that was good fun!

we also met lizziejob that was on our last day! and another woman came up to me, they had recognised my sons wheelchair!

The little trains were great but no where to put wheelchairs, also some people are so rude, they have no problems with pushing in and pushing you out of the way to get on the trains, this was a problem with trying to get a wheelchair on and trying to get my disabled son on, we often were pushed out of the way, some people have no manners, when this happened the bell boys always toook us privately Erick was so helpful - thank Erick!

Also when you are queing for drinks some of the spanish speaking guest had not problem with walking to the front of thee queue and shouting there order, this really was frustrating, after a few days we told them guy serving that it was our turn and shouted our order in spanish!

The grounds and the staff work so hard, please tip them, and say por faviour, lots of people shouted their orders and never said please or gracis, we always did and made our children say it also!

We used USA Transfers, they were fantastic, they were punctual and very professional and there minibuses are airconditioned!

We also took the boys swimming with the dolphins at Dolphin Discovery Puerto Aventuras - what an experience for our children, this cost $99 each and we booked this through a rep at the hotel, a great day out!

The mozzies are bad there, even with 50% deet on, but you give up worrying it after a week! just keep putting the repellent on!

A brilliant resort and we will definitely use this hotel chain again, we had a fantastic holiday, if anybody has any questions please ask away, I have also posted my photos on a webpage, if anybody wants to see them please pm me

adios annx

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

also one other tip, the mozzies started coming out at 4pm so be aware when you are at the pool, this is when I got some of my bites as I did not have any repellent on!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

another tip, keep your balcony/veranda door shut all the time even when on the balcony, it stops the bugs getting in

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

Glad you had a good time, now you will be saving up for next year, what a bonus having gold bands

We were in block 22b last year and I would like the same room this year.

2 questions for you hope you don't mind

Want to know if rooms are numbered 1-18 in A and

19-36 in B and also as you look into the block are they numbered clockwise or anticlockwise?

Is Edwardo still resturant manager at Coba?

My son is autistic and likes every thing to be the same so if I can get the same room (I cant remember the room number) My holiday will be good from day 1

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

hi

we were in 22b - room 32221 on the middle floor, as you come up the stairs you turn left and it is the left apartment in the corner, can you email the hotel and ask them what room you had last time?

yes I think Edwardo is still coba manager

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

the rooms are all the same, as you came into ours the beds were on the left hand side and we had 2 doubles and the coach as a bed, hope this helps

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

Thank for the help and quick reply, I am going to email hotel and ask for Coba 22b, I was not to sure if they would hold the records because it will be 1 year exact to the date.

Our room was on the back wall to the left, and as you went into the room the bathroom and beds were to the right.

Edwardo was fantastic with my son, and he so wants to see him again.

This year my son has talked my mum and dad going with us so I just hope we will get the 2 rooms in the same block.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

sounds like you were in the room to the right of us, I would stress the situation with your son, I am sure they will do everything in their power to help you, let me know how you get on, and ask them to put you in rooms near to each other,

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

thanks for the support

Tolland, CT
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

mornahar,

I believe they keep you info in the computer for at least a year because when we went back the check in clerk said " oh you were here exactly one year ago this week, where are the kids?". Maybe they will be able to look up your room number for you.

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: we had a fab time a GBP

Thats good to hear, Im starting to get excited now and especialy that we could get the same room, it would make a big difference for my son as he will settle quicker being in familiar surroundings. Only 56 sleeps to go.