We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

I've been watching this forum for the past few months with interest in GBP since we'll be going there in December. We're from Illinois and was wondering if many people from the states visit the GBP? Seems like most of the posts on this forum relating to GBP are either from Canada or UK. GBP sounds like a wonderful place and just wondering if others from the states haven't caught on yet?

Thanks.

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

Hi, I'm from Minnesota and we're going in February. Most of the recent posts and photos are from travelers overseas I noticed. I assumed there might be more from North America when it gets to be our peak travel season. I could be wrong though!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

You're probably right! Not that it matters where anyone is from, just seemed odd not to see many posters from the U.S.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

Most of the trips I have taken show about 30-40% americans

Does this make you feel better?

I enjoy sharing my holiday with other nationalities so I can enjoy their cultures

okotoks
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

Transat( Canadian Charter)has 70% 0f the rooms @ GBP Akumal. Several other Candian Charters have rooms @ Coba & Tulum.Heavily marketed in Canada.

Lots of Brits.

Grupo Pinero (Spanish Company) owns this resort. It is heavily marketed in Europe so lots of guests from Spain,Portugal & France as well.

Some from South America.

In my 8 VISITS to this resort Ihave been in all seasons( Feb,Mar,April,May,July,Aug, Nov,Dec)very few Americans. Possibly not heavily marketed in the U.S.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
777 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

Im off for the 6th time in March and im from Manchester, UK.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

I'm going next week. We are from Colorado and this will be our second time. It's a great place and I had good luck with all the nationalities. Everyone is there for a good time and the location makes that easy.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

Vancouversundog - I too enjoy other nationalities and their cultures and feel fine vacationing with all - obviously, if we're traveling to MEXICO!

I was just curious why there weren't very many posters from the states.

I guess the U.S. just hasn't cought on yet.

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

There was plenty of us visitors both times I have been there feb, there seems to be an influx of u.k visitors july-sept but on the whole I felt there was agood mix of all nationalities when I visited, my son who travelled with me made friends with people (girls) from u.s, canada, argentina, italy and portugal-so a pretty broad mix.

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

I am from Wisconsin and we are going in October wow that is this month parents and friends also going group of 10. Our 1st time at GBP but some of our party has been there 9x already.

Halesowen, United...
Level Contributor
986 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Bahia Principe - Where's everyone from?

we are from england and my son is getting married at GBP in april 2010 a party of about 20 people