We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jellyfish

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
jellyfish

lots of coverage on tv about jellyfish attacks recently,especially Australia and the Med,does the riviera maya have problems with them?

Augusta
Level Contributor
448 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jellyfish

I am not an expert, but I have never seen any. 3 trips to the area, a few more to the general area.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jellyfish

I only go in the winter months and have only seen one small one ever.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jellyfish

I've been to the area 7 times and only once off Cozumel I got stung. I have seen some very small ones closer to tulum but not a problem I worry about.

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jellyfish

We have gone summer and winter . I have not seen a jelly fish at all

I read somewhere , there is a small migration in the early spring time.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: jellyfish

good to hear....

but the blighters are getting worse all over

nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/07/21/2008-07-…

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jellyfish

"Blighter". Had to google that one. I will start using that term in Texas and see where it gets me (LOL).

Gracias for expanding my vocabulary!

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: jellyfish

"a despicable or irritating person or thing"

not normally a word a Scotsman would use but it sums up jellyfish i guess.

now where did i put that Corona..........

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jellyfish

We usually go sometime between very late January and very early March, preferably the third week in February. I have seen jellyfish washed up on the beach and I saw one at the boat ramp at Puerto Aventuras once. We have been going to the area for 10 years and have never been stung. We have never seen any while snorkeling.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jellyfish

The jellyfish you must watch out for all over the Caribbean is the ''Portugese Man-O-War'' This species has a transparent, bluish body that sticks out of the water (used as a sail to get around) and its tentacles can be many meters long. This jellyfish can deliver very painful stings and is in some cases can be fatal to those that are allergic.

However, they are seasonal and normally you can go some time without seeing one or you can see many at certain times of year.

Meat tenderizer or the sap from papaya skin are good antidotes to the sting.

Whatever you do if stung is do NOT rub the sting with anything as it will increase the pain and discomfort by driving the stingers (micoscopic) with the poison deeper into the flesh.

If you see one steer clear since the tentacles can trail out for quite a distance and don't handle them if you see them washed up on the beach.

If stung and you get any reaction besides the painfull sting (such as a drop in blood pressure, ect.) get to a hospital and if you are allergic to bee stings get to a hospital immediately.

All in all it is not nearly as deadly as, say, the box jellyfish of Australia.

When diving a good reason to not touch corals is the fire coral-it can give a nasty sting also.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jellyfish

I've been to Cozumel for 7 years - they have an issue with Thimble Jellies - about the size of a nickle or quarter from April to about July. These sting - I haven't been stung - my husband has and said it lasts for about 10-15 minutes. I have never seen them on our trips over to Akumal however.