We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia or Grand Palladium

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gran Bahia or Grand Palladium

Planning a trip in April. I've stayed at Grand Palladium twice and enjoyed it very much. How does Gran Bahia compare to Grand Palladium? Are the resorts similar in size, service, number of restaraunts? How do the beaches comapare?

any advice appreciated.

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia or Grand Palladium

Bahia is very close to Palladium. My nod goes to Palladium, better beach on the Kantenah section. You still can book your alacarts at Bahia apposed to the change now at palladium first come first serve , unless your a multi repeat /Royal customer

2 trains at the at the palladium, multi- trains for each section at Bahia

A shopping mall and a great evening gathering place at the Bahia [Hacienda]

Tulum section runs beside the beach so your very close to the ocean

You can't go wrong with either

Trying a new resort is fun too

West Michigan
Level Contributor
503 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia or Grand Palladium

have stayed at both, however stayed at the Palladium the first year it opened, so that was in like 2001. stayed at Gran Bahia the last 2 years. My reason was only becuause I got a much better price at GB. I loved them both, and even though I am probably going back to GB again this year (becuase of price), I would love to try the Grand Palladium again.

here are a few differences as I recall (and please remember that GP has changed and grown since I was there...

I would say that the GP is a little bit more upscale than the GB, but both are very nice!

things I like better about GP:

grounds were a little more elaborate (covered walkways, raised wooden "bridge" walkways, alligator display, part jungle feel, part garden feel, part beach feel)

bufffet area for lunch was 'open air' room...like sitting on a covered porch (not in a room with windows). you could walk right up from the pool for lunch and sit in the shade to eat and still be 'outside'.

food was a little better at GP, but good at both.

things I like about GB:

layout of the place seems easier

great ala cartes

tulum and akumal section very close to the beach

sand bags in front of tulum are great fun!

rooms seem more centrallly located.

feel very welcome and at home

good luck, I think both are great.. if you wanted to try some place new, you wouldnt be disappointed.

West Michigan
Level Contributor
503 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia or Grand Palladium

have stayed at both, however stayed at the Palladium the first year it opened, so that was in like 2001. stayed at Gran Bahia the last 2 years. My reason was only becuause I got a much better price at GB. I loved them both, and even though I am probably going back to GB again this year (becuase of price), I would love to try the Grand Palladium again.

here are a few differences as I recall (and please remember that GP has changed and grown since I was there...

I would say that the GP is a little bit more upscale than the GB, but both are very nice!

things I like better about GP:

grounds were a little more elaborate (covered walkways, raised wooden "bridge" walkways, alligator display, part jungle feel, part garden feel, part beach feel)

bufffet area for lunch was 'open air' room...like sitting on a covered porch (not in a room with windows). you could walk right up from the pool for lunch and sit in the shade to eat and still be 'outside'.

food was a little better at GP, but good at both.

things I like about GB:

layout of the place seems easier

great ala cartes

tulum and akumal section very close to the beach

sand bags in front of tulum are great fun!

rooms seem more centrallly located.

feel very welcome and at home

good luck, I think both are great.. if you wanted to try some place new, you wouldnt be disappointed.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia or Grand Palladium

Family of 5, we stayed at the Grand Palladium, Kantenah, in Apr. 2008 and the Gran Bahia Principe Coba, Dec. 2009. We loved them both.

We felt that the Palladium, was larger and a bit more spread out that the Bahia. Both gorgeous! Both had very good food choices. I felt that the staff/service was better at the Bahia. Liked the tram service better at Bahia - it ran much more often! To me, the sections in the Bahia seemed more connected to each other - easier walking, because restauarants, shops, pools were a little closer together.

Also, the Bahia Coba was about $250pp cheaper than the Palladium in December, which made our choice very easy.

We would definitely go to either again - probably based on cheaper price.

Chalfont
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia or Grand Palladium

How does the snorkeling compare at both resorts?

6. Re: Gran Bahia or Grand Palladium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2010, 05:16