We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stomach issues in Akumal?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
stomach issues in Akumal?

Looks like a few folks have experienced stomach issues while in the Akumal area. One of the things we most like to do is eat in small, non-touristy spots. Wondering if that is a good idea now. Is there anything we can do in advance like bring Cipro with us or eat live culture yogurt to get our stomach set up? We had no problems when we traveled to Cancun, but this time we wanted a more local experience.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

I always bring Metamucil and Pepto Bismal. One for bulk, and one for "stoppage"! However, this past time I did not bring enough Pepto Bismal, and ran out. I always bring Cipro, but have never had anything bad enough to use it. You can also buy it OTC in Mexico.

Have heard of Imodium and Dukoral vaccine, but have not tried them.

I think the basic problem is too much to eat and drink -- things which seem hard to avoid at an AI. May be easier if you are not in an AI.

Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

We have used Dukarol every year since 2005 and touch wood, our kids and us have been great. We like to go off resort and eat as well and last year in PV we ate in Bucrieos (sp) and had no problems. Once you take Dukarol, you just have to take one oral dose a year to keep it up. It is 75 to 78% effective in preventing traveler's scoots and 100% for Cholera. We haven't had a problem since using it therefore it is 100% for us. Excellent description on the BC provincial health website. Regrds,

cranbrook
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

WE find it very important to take acidophillis for a full week before we go and I take it with us as well. It helps build up good bacteria in your stomach. Also, I don't know how most people feel about drinking the water at the resort but we never do and we rarely have problems.

cranbrook
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

WE find it very important to take acidophillis for a full week before we go and I take it with us as well. It helps build up good bacteria in your stomach. Also, I don't know how most people feel about drinking the water at the resort but we never do and we rarely have problems.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

All the tap water at any of the resorts in the Akumal area is treated. May taste funky but it's likely safer than at home and each resort has their own purification system

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

how about away from the resorts. We are not staying in a resort and wanted to eat local,

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

Is there a brand name for acidopholus that I can buy at drugstore,com or similar. I can eat live culture yogurt but my husband cannot. Thanks!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

Stoppers, starters, calmers: all good to bring. I have eaten many times in the equivelant of someone's porch/kitchen, with an 8 year old helping serve.. Sometimes these folks practice better sanitary measures than I do at home (shame on me) Make sure you only drink bottled water (which should be the only water available anyway). Eat foods that are cooked and heated properly. Someimes eating on paper plates is GOOD too.

I've also eaten in downtown Playa Del Carmen at places that are downright scary to took at. These places are packed! The food is great. The cook sticks a spoon in the pot to taste....

Many illness can be attributed to too much___fil in the blank. But to be sure-take measures: wash,wash, wash you hands.

I've used two tablets of Pepto twice in five years. I have a delicate palate too!

Edited: 01 February 2010, 00:12
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

oh, and yes there are some type of pill or such-ask the pharmacy. Best adivce I can give hubby- is eat thing that are pretty similar to your diet now: eggs, cheese, tacos, fish, breads, soups, All good. Eat dessert too!

Pen Argyl...
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: stomach issues in Akumal?

We were told to eat yogurt everyday for 2 weeks before your trip & also we bring pepcid complete with us & immodium (just in case) but you can buy immodium there. I also take ginger capsules for travelling so I just keep taking them while we are there for the stomach. But, we NEVER drink tap water even if they tell us it is okay, We use bottled water even to brush our teeth. Good luck & have a great trip !!!