We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

My dad and I will be flying into Cancun from different airports (Newark and Baltimore), and need to establish a meeting place. On the CUN Airport website, I read this:

" Outside arrival terminal 2 and arrival terminal 3, there is a waiting area/restaurant called the "Meeting Point". That is the best place to wait for an arrving passenger."

I searched the archives on this topic, but never saw this restaurant mentioned. Can anyone confirm that this restaurant still exists, and that it would be a good place to meet? If not, what would you recommend?

Also, will our cell phones work in the airport?

Thanks so much!

Temple

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,510 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

Cell phones will work (if your carrier works in MX)

According to my MapChick maps, the restaurant is on your left as you enter Terminal #2 into the parking lot (or right when you exit)

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

The Meeting Point is an open air seating area for the restaurant/bar in the Departure area. As you get off the plane, walk OUTSIDE. Look to the left & you'll see many workers holding signs with their customers' names. They're not allowed inside the gates. You'll see a turnstyle to your left, so just walk through that & up the few stairs. Sit down & relax.

For your return home, this is a nice place to relax in the fresh air after checking in. Bring some food/drink from your resort (especially if it's all-inclusive) and enjoy it there. You CAN'T take liquids through security, and there is nowhere to sit in the departures hall besides a couple of restaurants. And if the waitress asks you to buy something, either give her a dollar and say, "No Gracias," or buy a drink. Sure beats sitting in the Land of Duty Free upstairs for 2 hours. Just leave enough time to get through security.

Our last 3 trips we flew American Airlines & USA3000, which arrive/depart from Terminal 3. So I'm not sure if there is a similar setup at Terminal 2.

Regarding your phone, contact your carrier now to get your Mexico service "activated" for free. Then turn off/on your phone once you land & you'll connect into TelCel or another roaming carrier. You should receive a text message with dialing instructions once you turn it on. Some carriers (T-Mobile) require a "+" before dialing 1-area code-number, so know how to get this on your phone. For my phone, I press and hold "0" until the + appears. Again, these instructions will be in your welcome text message.

Adios,

SeaBass

Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

Thank you both so much! Now I can stress about other things...;)

Temple

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

If you provide Terminal and arrival times for both of you and whether either has mobility issues, we could suggest a good option. The Terminal 2 Meeting Place is the second picture in this link

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

It also discusses how to walk between the two terminals (2 and 3) versus using the free van shuttle.

There is also a restaurant in Terminal 2 that would work well (inside by security point).

Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

It looks as though my Dad will get into Terminal 3 (Continental) at 12:30pm, and we'll get into Terminal 2 at 1:15. He is almost 80, so I'd like to find a meeting place that is easy for him to find, and where he can sit down while he waits for us.

I don't know if this matters, but we'll be renting with Cancun Rent-a-Car, so I assume we'll be met by someone outside of customs. I'm wondering how to get to the car rental agency and find my dad at the same time!

Any thoughts on this would be great!

Thanks,

Temple

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

There is a shaded waiting area right outside the exit doors of Terminal 3--it's to the left as you exit. That's where your dad can wait for you. There is a bar outside also (very expensive), but he can get a soda,or whatever, while he waits. E-mail your rental car company--it's possible that they'll pick you up & drive you over to pick up your dad. If not, have them pick you both up outside of Terminal 3.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

That shaded area with tables & chairs outside Terminal 3 is THE MEETING POINT!!!

And those guys standing along the sidewalk next to it holding name signs are the off-site car rental guys!!!

So Cancun Rentacar guy should have a sign with your name on it. Maybe your dad can find him once he walks outside, then have a seat next to them at the Meeting Point until you show up.

And please write down the directions for your dad, include that he does NOT talk to anyone inside the airport after he gets his luggage. Those are the timeshare hawks. Tell him to go all the way OUTSIDE into the fresh air to look for you & car rental guy.

Also, there are free luggage carts at the baggage area that he can wheel all the way outside now.

It's easier than it sounds,

SeaBass

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,510 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

I own a set of Maps from Map Chicks and they are about to release a huge new set of maps

See www.cancunmap.com/cancunairport-map.html

for a view of the Airport maps

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

Perhaps you should agree to meet in the Time Share Shark Pit! It would be interesting to see tourists kill a bunch of their time, instead of the other way around. You could compare notes after as to who got the best offers.

Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone seen the "Meeting Point" Restaurant at Airport?

Thank you all so, so much! I've been so nervous about not being able to find my dad in the airport, but your advice has made me feel so much better. I'll tell my dad that we'll collect him at the Meeting Point, on condition that he report on all the good people (and shark) watching.

I simply do not know what I would do without the wonderful people on this forum. (Other than pay too much, get stranded, regret various choices, miss the best places, and maybe get arrested...)

Thanks again,

Temple