We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

Just wanted to tell that my wife and I followed the advice on the forums and had an amazing morning snorkeling in the bay. We saw coral, a ray, and two tortugas as they did what turtles do. No one else was in our vicinity as we swam around in the the calm and clear water of the bay.

Thanks, people! Akumal was the highlight of our trip.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,855 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

Glad you had a great time

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

It is amazing isn't it? I went to our local zoo yesterday and saw smaller turtles and couldn't help but remember I was swimming right with their larger cousins a couple of weeks ago. One surfaced right near my own head. Wow!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

And the best part of all is the cost.......just the price of your transportation, and whatever you might get to eat or drink. And of course shopping - it's always nice to stop in the shops and support the local vendors.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

It was nice to shop at a proper 'off resort' store. Prices were reasonable too.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

We have plans to do this as a day trip in a couple of weeks when we go. We are thinking of taking the Collectivo from the Cat. Would we ask the driver to drop us at Lol-Ha Restaurant or do we say something else? I read that we can rent chairs and umbrellas here as well as get food and drinks. Are we close enough to walk in to the town of Akumal, or is it right there? I would like to explore here as well and I read about Lucy's shrimp taco's.

Any advice?

-Surf:)

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

2weeks--tell the colectivo to drop you at Akumal Playa (the colectivos only run up & down the highway.) You'll be dropped at the pedestrian overpass that will put you on the road into Akumal. It's not even a 10 min. walk. The LolHa is in the village of Akumal, and yes, you can rent chairs & a palapa there. You can also rent just chairs from the chair hut on the south side of the Akumal Dive Center & put them under a palm tree if you want to save some $$. Regarding Lucy's--the original Lucy's, which is on the bay side of the highway only serves ice cream now (I highly recommend the vanilla crunch and double chocolate). Her new restaurant, Lucy's Too, is across the highway in the pueblo. It's on the north side of the street, about halfway up the hill (in the old Hamed & Jafet's location.)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

IguanaMama,

Thanks for the great information, we will be sure to do this and use your advice! I can not wait to snorkle there and eat delicious ice cream and shrimp tacos!

Cobble Hill, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

I am not sure if it stops at Lol Ha but I do know if you tell them tho dropp you off at Akumal they will stop on the highway.The town is very small and safe. The town is right there on the west side of the highway and Lucy's is halfway up the hill on the right. Its called Lucy's Too and she opens at noon. The shrimp tacos are good. They do offer a shrimp taco platter which comes with 8 tacos for about 190peso's and drinks for about 45 peso'sTo get to the beach walk over the catwalk over the highway. Its about a 5-7 min walk to the beach. You will pass little stores and a small grocery store. There is also a small pub on the beach and they serve nice stong drinks and I have been told the food is good there too. The public beach does have trees to sit under. Enjoy your trip in Akumal !!! Its beautiful there.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

Thank you for your information too, lilscape!

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling at Akumal Bay

lilscape--the colectivos do not go into Akumal They only run up & down the highway.