We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did"

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
486 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did"

Hi, Ya'all

As a lot of new people come on here and some regulars, I think an item that we hardly ever hear about, but read occasionally in the news, is Snorkeling Safety.

Yes there have been people have drowned and some from natural causes, and some well who knows.

"Wear a Vest"

Its the best and cheapest insurance, that you will return to shore to your family and friends.

Hands down the best safety item you can have on your body.

"Yes I am the expert swimmer" or "I am invincible" and "it will never happen to me" sound familiar???

Sound familiar??? especially with the teenagers and some people.

As one poster said always use the buddy system and never go out alone.

One does not ever think of getting,,exhausted when way out from shore, or getting a leg cramp like a charlie horse.....ouch, ouch and ......well .... you know the rest of the story...... :O(

So when your about to book those excursions and trips, make sure ask the vendor for, and you your self grab a safety vest for your family members.

Not bothering to get one, by trying to to save a few dollars or euros, etc. its not worth it. The life you save may be your own.

Enjoy the beautiful Akumal areas snorkeling, reefs, water, shorelines and be safe out there.

Snowman :O)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,855 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did"

Good post snowman

We've had a few drownings lately in the Akumal area. Snorkel vests must help

Pitt Meadows,B.C.
Level Contributor
291 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did"

Snowman

Can these vests be rented?We have snorkel gear but no vests,but after reading this I think they would be a good idea!

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did"

Hi Snowman - yes a very good reminder. I will look for vests too while I am visiting.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,855 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did"

snorkel vests at dive shops can be rented at $6 per day

you can also buy them at home for less that $40

Cancun
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did"

Another thing to add for safety, specially at places like Akumal where you can snorkel on your own, is not to go on the other side of the reef.

When the water is calm, some curious people make their way on to the other side of the reef. This is a very bad idea, since that is where the waves are breaking, the reef is often high, and you can easily get slammed against the reef, and end up with sea urchin thingies all over you.

Be safe!

Wi.
Level Contributor
333 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did"

We wouldn't be without our snorkeling vests in Akumal. If your in the water any amount of time, snorkeling can get very tiring. One of us swims good, the other doesn't, but neither of us would be without one. They can be inflated as little or as much as you want. They take up very little room in a suitcase.

7. Re: Snorkeling Safety - Wear a Vest, "You'll be Glad You Did"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 06:17