We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

My friend I'm travelling with has mentioned to me that she plans to lock her suitcase rather than pay the $35 to use the safe. Do you think this would be a sufficient way to keep our belongings safe? I wasn't going to bring my laptop as I've read that it won't fit in the safe but maybe I'll consider bringing it if I can just leave it in my locked suitcase...

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,300 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

We've always used the safe - I don't take chances with that kind of thing. But then I have no need to have a laptop at the resort - that's what I'm trying to get away from when I go on a vacation!

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

While we do lock a few things in a suitcase, I would not depend on that for everything--we always lock our cash & passports in a room safe. If someone REALLY wanted to, they could just cut your suitcase open. We've never had any problems like that, but a safe is a lot more secure than a suitcase.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

The safe probably will not be as expensive as you think. We have stayed twice for a 7 day and both times we were charged 50 pesos a day for 6 days or 300 pesos. Bit less than $25 CDN.

maple ridge
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

someone sent me a video once about how someone can get into a locked zipped suitcase using a ballpoint pen on the zipper. We have always used the safe in the room but we had ours broken into once so we are a little nervous about either one, mostly go with the safe and leave all valuables at home, only take what we need..

winnipeg MB
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

I've also heard of things going missing from the safes (believe it or not) when they are 'key operated'. Apparently if anything goes missing, good luck trying to get it back. I'm going to put my money in a sealed envelope every day when I leave with the amount on it...if staff get in the safe and have the balls to rip open the sealed envelope knowing I will know if something is missing, then i don't know what else you can do.

If someone (staff) have access to safes, they will take money or things from the ones that make it easiest. Just like the suitcase...seriously, if you are going to lock your suitcase, what staff person is going to take the time to use a ballpoint pen or cut through your suitcase not knowing if there is anything worth getting caught for inside it????

I'd say your laptop is totally safe in your locked suitcase...just don't use one of those tiny universal locks that seem to fit every key there is, get a decent suitcase lock.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

The story, and I believe it, on the room safes is there is only one key per lock, and no master key. If you lose it, they have to drill the lock out, and will charge you $75. Your room door lock has many people who have access with a master key.

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

Leave your laptop at home and enjoy your vacation!

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

the only reason i would bring my laptop is to keep in touch with home every couple of days in case anything happens, since i'm not bringing my phone. don't want to get hit with insane international roaming charges...

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

Many resorts have an internet room for their guest, if your does not then i can understand you wanting to bring a laptop.

I bring my Blackberry with me on vacation and I put the international calling plan on it. Can't remember how much it cost(AT&T) but its cheaper then replacing a laptop.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Locking Suitcase Sufficient?

I do not use hotel safes. Because every employee knows that there are things of value in there, and if some can get the codes, your done. I would lock a carry on suitcase inside your larger suitcase and get a bike lock to tie the handle to something secure in the room. Take a photo of the things you have in your suitcase for proof and go from there. Never tip your hat to a potential thief....